UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th Feb 2006, 3:28 pm   #21
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Wander plugs?

Next time I need some, I think that is what I will do, Tim. I would just need to source the coloured plastic rod.
Old 6th Feb 2006, 7:44 pm   #22
Sean Williams
Dekatron

How many do you want Tim?

Another alternative source might well be Mike Lewis - has a stall at Harpenden.....

I have a few here, and may be able to find more...

Cheers
Sean
Old 7th Feb 2006, 12:43 am   #23
Tim
Dekatron

That's Ok Shaun,I have a few plugs here for my own use.
You hold onto yours. You may need them in the future!
As indeed may I..................
I wonder if the BVWS would be interested in making some.......
(IT SOUNDS like a good idea in principle, but I have been there,and got the t-shirt.
They would probably end up with thousands of the things and no takers! )
Old 7th Feb 2006, 8:59 am   #24
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
I wonder if the BVWS would be interested in making some.......
For the answer to that idea, you only need to look at the recent discussion about the BVWS DVDs (which soon went quiet when it was suggested that those with the ideas might like to join the committee to make it happen).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Feb 2006, 5:35 pm   #25
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

So what's that mean? The BVWS are a "good old boys'" club who don't want any new members to join? That's kind of self defeatist.

And then they bitch about the decline of the old radio collecting/repair hobby.
Old 7th Feb 2006, 6:11 pm   #26
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

There's no shortage of members who like the bulletin, come to meetings and enjoy being members though I think there's been a slight decline in meeting attendance recently, possibly due to ebay. Finding volunteers to join the committee and do other jobs that need doing is hard. I'm sure that's as true now as it was when I was on the BVWS committee.

The BVWS never used to be very keen on being a manufacturer and retailer. Publishing seemed to work OK, with CDs, DVDs, books etc. Apart from badges and stickers there was never any great wish to make and sell anything else. I know I'm now speaking from outside the committee but again I doubt that much has changed. I can't work up any enthusiasm for the BVWS to manufacture and sell wander plugs, valves or anything other gizmos.
Old 7th Feb 2006, 6:50 pm   #27
Aerodyne
Octode

Quote:
The BVWS are a "good old boys'" club who don't want any new members to join?
It's not like that, Stephanie, though I can see how it could be taken that way. In fact there's no shortage of members and the doors are always open and, as far as I can see, welcoming to new faces. I'm a relatively new member myself as, not being a 'clubby' type (introspective, like many others!) I have never gone in for the genre. I guess it's always been the case that many want to belong, few want responsibility or to give up their time in running club or society. There is always an element of the 'clique' in any organisation, which is another thing that puts people off becoming more involved - not that I'm suggesting that to be the case with BVWS, because I just wouldn't know. Finally, there's the question of limiting circumstances, in my case and I'm sure in that of many others.
Verdict? BVWS is a well-organised and useful society that welcomes all enthusiasts.
-Tony
Old 7th Feb 2006, 7:23 pm   #28
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Jeffrey is spot on. It is simply that there is already more than enough work for the current committee to deal with. Anything further would need more people to join the committee or otherwise get involved to organise (rather than to be regular BVWS members). Finding people who are willing and able to get involved to this extent has never been easy.

So whenever someone has a bright idea for something else for the BVWS to do, I or someone else on the committee has to ask "who is going to organise it".

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Feb 2006, 7:27 pm   #29
Sean Williams
Dekatron

As I have said before, if I can help let me know (within reason) - will start a more relevant thread elsewhere......

Cheers
Sean
Old 19th Mar 2007, 2:24 pm   #30
kalee20
Dekatron

Maybe it's not generally known, but Farnell sell black and red, "3mm plugs" as they call them in their catalogue. Stock numbers are 317-093 and 317-100 (black). They are a bit expensive, at around £1-50 each but they are really good quality, silver plated, much better than the split-pin sort. Their web site is www.farnell.co.uk although if memory serves me right, you have to register (free) even to browse...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WanderPlug.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	8814  
Old 19th Mar 2007, 6:13 pm   #31
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Oh - never spotted them at Farnell!
Looking at the pictures, they are exactly like a few I still have here from the 1960s.
Old 20th Mar 2007, 9:28 pm   #32
Herald1360
Dekatron

Made by Belling Lee no less. Quite in keeping with vintage radios.

Chris
Closed Thread