UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2022, 10:05 pm   #1
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default 2m 1/4 wave - OK on 70cms as well?

Just to add to the flurry of aerial questions circulating just now.

Today, I used my first ever VHF amateur band mobile aerial, a stainless steel 1/4 wave whip. When I was originally using it, it was with a converted Dymar 2000, a synthesised 2m-only radio. Great radio actually, very sensitive. I gave it to an elderly local amateur who had just passed his RAE and was using a donated set with just one channel crystalled for the local repeater.

I have several exotic purpose made dual-band mobile aerials made in Japan by the likes of Comet, but the simple 1/4 wave has the merit of being tough and relatively low profile, it could easily be mistaken for a PMR / Taxi radio aerial and if someone does lift it, another half-metre length of stainless steel rod won't break the bank.

My current radio is a dual band 2m / 70cms radio and I have always had in my head the idea that a 2m 1/4 wave is a 70cms 3/4 wave and that it may even have an acceptable impedance, ~50 ohms, on 70cms as well. Can anyone confirm this?

I understand that the radiation pattern of a 3/4 wave ground plane aerial is not ideal unless I plan to talk to the ISS on 70cms, but my main concern is whether I can safely transmit a 70cms signal with it if there is a need.
Old 7th Aug 2022, 9:38 am   #2
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: 2m 1/4 wave - OK on 70cms as well?

It will match but it will have a high radiation angle.

There is a commercial dual band antenna which puts about 3/4 of a turn at the bottom making it a 70cm 5/8s and slightly shortened 1/4 wave on 2m.

The coil at the bottom of a 5/8 corrects the high radiation angle. From what you wrote I think you know this already.
Old 7th Aug 2022, 9:58 am   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Thanks for confirming the bit about the high radiation angle, but I was less sure about the natural / native impedance of a 3/4 wave groundplane.
Old 7th Aug 2022, 6:06 pm   #4
Dave757
Heptode

Hi,

I use an indoor Halo antenna for 2m horizontal working, and this
also works with a low VSWR for 70cm. I wouldn't like to speculate
regarding efficiency, but I still manage to get across to the continent
with 15W if conditions are reasonable.

Kind regards
Dave
G0ELJ
Old 7th Aug 2022, 6:19 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

A high radiation-angle isn't necessarily a bad thing; I never did my commercial mobile-radio-stuff on 400-470MHz but one of my competitors did, and we happily interchanged information, on the basis that we weren't competing in the market so what was there to lose.

In an urban environment - let's say inner-city London, or maybe Reading, high-angle radiation was a good thing - it got to bounce-off high-rise office-blocks and tower-blocks of flats, so got you a RF path out.

Pragmatically, there's no point optimising your antennas to get max-radiation at 5-degrees-to-the-horizon if that takes you straight into a concrete-and-steel-framed shopping-mall.
Old 7th Aug 2022, 6:24 pm   #6
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I do most of my mobile operation static-mobile in high-up, open locations where a high radiation angle would put most of my signal into space, but it is just useful to know that if the 1/4 wave rod is the only antenna I have on me I can transmit into it without doing the transmitter any harm.
Old 7th Aug 2022, 10:10 pm   #7
Sparky67
Heptode

Your question got me wondering as well SH... So I ran a plot for a 2m quarter-wave rod with a flat ground-plane (to simulate a car roof) using the MMANA software, but with four radials rather than a continuous sheet. Results are attached. Must admit I was a bit surprised how well the VSWR held up on 70cms according to the software. Would be interested to see a comparison with real life.

Martin
G4NCE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2m flat GP.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	262398   Click image for larger version

Name:	70cms flat GP.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	262399  
Old 7th Aug 2022, 11:00 pm   #8
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I don't have access to any of that kind of software, I completely missed the boat with all the circuit / aerial simulation stuff when it originally came over the horizon. I'm always impressed by how proficient so many of you are with that kind of thing but I am probably way too old now to be able to get familiar with any of it.

Anyway: That signal plot does look noticeably more buxom on 70cms, as had been suspected.
Closed Thread