UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2022, 2:58 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default New CB Radio additions to the CB Stable.

Picked up these two CB Radios at the Beaulieu spring autojumble along with other assorted radio bits n bobs.

First one is an Interceptor TC300 and the other one is a Communicators NI-440 DX unit.both units being standard 40ch uk 27/81 models.

Both have the wrong mics and the Interceptor is a non working unit but as both cost only a very few £s i was happy to add them to the CB Stable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220623_144439.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	259640  
Old 24th Jun 2022, 9:25 am   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: New CB Radio additions to the CB Stable.

The Interceptor looks like it may be yet another Cybernet 134 chassis although the circuit to drive the twin meters will be unconventional. It obviously borrows its styling heavily from the old Hy-Gain models so maybe a knob from a wrecked Hy-Gain can replace that surely incorrect squelch knob.

The 'Communicators' has the look of a Maxon, if so the giveaway is usually a red and gold 'Made In Korea' sticker on the back, along with a plate giving the year and month of manufacture.
Old 24th Jun 2022, 1:40 pm   #3
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
The Interceptor looks like it may be yet another Cybernet 134 chassis although the circuit to drive the twin meters will be unconventional. It obviously borrows its styling heavily from the old Hy-Gain models so maybe a knob from a wrecked Hy-Gain can replace that surely incorrect squelch knob.

The 'Communicators' has the look of a Maxon, if so the giveaway is usually a red and gold 'Made In Korea' sticker on the back, along with a plate giving the year and month of manufacture.
I checked the Communicator just now and its actually made in japan, but the Interceptor is made in korea .

Your right about the styling of the Interceptor for sure. Id love to get it going but alas its probably beyond me to do it despite my love of CBs i dont find them easy to repair .
Old 24th Jun 2022, 2:51 pm   #4
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

It's a long time ago now but I recall the Communicator 440DX caused quite a stir when it arrived as it was quite a nice looking radio. The Planet 2000 CB was very similar. These are definitely not the same as the classic Maxon radios like the Maxcom 4E or the Midland radios.

Both the Communicator 440DX and Planet 2000 radios had a design flaw that meant you could tell if someone was using this model of radio on air. The synthesiser was a bit dodgy so these radios gave out a brief squishy sound from the synthesiser each time the PTT was pressed. This was quite distinctive to anyone listening on the same channel. Later versions may have had this issue fixed and some may have been cured by mods to the synthesiser by a keen CB service person.

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 24th Jun 2022 at 3:01 pm.
Old 24th Jun 2022, 5:01 pm   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Ref: Interceptor made in Japan, the Cybernets and Unidens were all made in Japan.
Old 25th Jun 2022, 12:47 am   #6
nickdoofah
Banned

The Intercepter 300 was a really terrible radio! It had the worst co-channel crosstalk or bleedover I ever experienced - I wanted one for the fancy led bar meters which turned out to be very poor, it was all lights or just one or two! Styled on the Hy-Gain but def not a quality product & was not very successful at all.....Guess that's why there don't appear to be many left now! The Ni-440DX was very well regarded & also appeared as the Planet as already mentioned & the Serpent 4000 I think, all 3 were identical & apart from the odd squelchy sound every time time the PTT mike key was pressed heard by anyone receiving, these were nice reliable sets! The Lowe TX-40 always reminded me of these but were a different manufacturer altogether.......The TX-40 also sold as many other brands too - Neither the Ni-440DX or the Lowe were Cybernet boarded however they are remembered fondly here unlike the Intercepter 300 & it's terrible front end on receive
Old 26th Jun 2022, 2:18 pm   #7
electronicskip
Nonode

Here is the Interceptor circuit board, bit of a mess when i opened it up and no sign of life!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220626_140826.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	259830  
Old 26th Jun 2022, 5:45 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

When I saw the first photos of these, I really did think that they were based on the same design as the Lowe TX40 - one of which I acquired from Bandit Bill over in Matlock pretty much as soon as CB27/81 became legal.

While most CBs of the era used one of a relatively-small number of underlying chassis, the TX40 was a bit of an outlier.