UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2019, 7:24 am   #1
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Telephone number circular labels?

Hi,

Having recently inherited a working 746 telephone I'd like to replace the current hand-made paper disc in the centre of the dial with a "proper" label and was wondering if anyone has, or knows of, a piece of software to print your own?

Thanks

Roger
Old 2nd May 2019, 8:09 am   #2
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Re: Telephone number circular labels?

A bit of Googling and I found this, and it works fine:-

http://going-digital.github.io/telephone-dial/

Thanks, mods please close topic.

Roger
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:29 am   #3
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

I found this.

I did a blue peter job on one, printed it, printed some text, stuck the text on, then scanned the lot in and printed it

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/dial_labels.htm
Old 2nd May 2019, 7:51 pm   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default More About Telephone Labels

In belated response to Roger's post, here's a tip which adds authenticity to telephone labelling, and has been well-documented elsewhere.

Instead of printing the label on new A4 paper, use instead a blank sheet cut out of an old paperback (there's usually a blank sheet at the front or back) to give it that 'aged' look. Obviously some paperbacks go yellower than others so you'll need to choose accordingly.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 2nd May 2019, 8:27 pm   #5
ajgriff
Nonode

For a really authentic look you need a GPO number stamp as well. Unfortunately they seem to sell for quite a price these days. I always think it's worth finding out the appropriate historic exchange name for the particular location and using the correct number of digits for the period. Sadly I can become quite fussy about such things!

Alan
Old 2nd May 2019, 8:41 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Cold tea (without milk!) is another way of making paper/card look older.
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:13 pm   #7
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
For a really authentic look you need a GPO number stamp as well. Unfortunately they seem to sell for quite a price these days. I always think it's worth finding out the appropriate historic exchange name for the particular location and using the correct number of digits for the period. Sadly I can become quite fussy about such things!

Alan
The earlier numbering machine was a 'Machine Numbering No 5' used up to around the introduction of the grey Tele 706 style label 1960 when the Machine Numbering No 32 came into use. Obviously the older No 5 machines carried on in use as well as the No 32. The figures are not the same on both machines. Kiosk labels used a Machine Numbering No 31 which has larger numerals and the ability to print a capital 'X' after the numbers - something that was done in the 1950's/60's. Luckily I managed to pick one up on eBay last year for £13.49! Only one I've ever seen. The No 5/32 seem to be offered from around £50 a time!

If anyone wants to know about a particular exchange on a particular date, I have a huge database of details of exchanges back to the year dot - just PM me if you'd like details such as the ranges of numbers in use around a particular date on a particular exchange.

I just produce my labels using a DTP program - got lots of blank label templates so just a case of dropping the exchange name in. I print them on an 'off white' 160gsm card - I used to use the weak tea method but the 'off white' looks pretty like the originals compared with ones printed on 'modern' white card.
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:26 pm   #8
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

The blank labels I use are available here: http://joefreeman.weebly.com/dial-labels.html
Old 11th May 2019, 4:14 pm   #9
vic0239
Tetrode

About 5 years ago I purchased a PDF label generator from eBay. It had templates for 200, 300 and 700 series labels and the results were pretty good - pre-soiled too! The seller is still active, but not selling this item at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-05-11 at 16.01.20.png
Views:	293
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	182895  
Closed Thread