UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2012, 8:05 pm   #41
Bazzrah2011
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ekco A22 in walnut brown/bronze c.1945

Hi

I've just acquired an A22 and this story has really inspired me.

Thank you
Old 18th Feb 2012, 12:12 am   #42
Robert Darwent
Heptode

I appreciate your very kind comment, thank you!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 18th Feb 2012, 10:43 am   #43
Aerodyne
Octode

Well... what can I add to this list of fulsome praise, except to say that it is richly deserved. Your combination of skill, creativity and patience is admirable. I entirely endorse - and always use - your system of photographing everything, labelling wires and tags (the latter important when removing coils and IF transformers to prevent wrong re-connections and time-wasting impedance measurement).
A fine example of a professional quality restoration.
-Tony
Old 18th Feb 2012, 12:30 pm   #44
Chris Parry
Retired Dormant Member

This is good work on a fine old radio. I am very pleased that you show all the new components for what they truly are. I utterly deplore the modern nonsense of hiding new components inside the old. How much better to show good work done with pride, in a way that does not try to deceive those who come after us. I congratulate you. Chris Parry.
Old 21st Feb 2012, 9:04 pm   #45
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
Well... what can I add to this list of fulsome praise, except to say that it is richly deserved. Your combination of skill, creativity and patience is admirable...

A fine example of a professional quality restoration.
Well... what can I say back to that, except of course thank you very much Tony for those very kind comments. I'm not at all sure I'm anywhere near deserving "professional quality" status being placed upon my shoulders, but I really appreciate your opinions and can only strive further to justify your confidence in me.

Many thanks and regards!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 21st Feb 2012, 9:21 pm   #46
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Parry View Post
This is good work on a fine old radio.
Thanks for that Chris, I'm very appreciative of your comment.

Quote:
I am very pleased that you show all the new components for what they truly are. I utterly deplore the modern nonsense of hiding new components inside the old. How much better to show good work done with pride, in a way that does not try to deceive those who come after us.
Well, in this case I couldn't proceed any other way. Most of the original capacitors had been removed before I purchased the set and the black paint had caught most of the resistors so they needed replacing.

I must admit to having no real opinion about whether it is correct or not to hide modern components inside old. I suppose the rarity/value of the set in question decides whether it warrants the extra time and effort to carry out such a task. But in any case I would never try to deceive, as you put it, by doing such a thing.

When it comes to large electrolytic cans though, I either restuff the originals or electrically disconnect and mount new components beneath. I think its important to at least preserve the appearance of a chassis when viewed with the back cover removed. What goes on underneath, out of sight, is far less important I believe.

Many thanks again for your comments.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 21st Feb 2012, 9:40 pm   #47

I bet a clear A22 would look wonderful! What with all those (as mine has) bright yellow capacitors. If I ever come across an A22 chassis I will have a clear case commisioned or maybe a "smokey brown grey" clear one. I would guess a hundred or two quid or so from a plastic company.

Old 22nd Feb 2012, 4:42 pm   #48
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
If I ever come across an A22 chassis I will have a clear case commisioned or maybe a "smokey brown grey" clear one.
Not too sure about a completely clear case. Being able to see everything, for me at least, would be a distraction from the biggest attraction about this set; - the dial.

Now, as you say, a smokey brown or grey translucent case would be more of a possibility. Not sure who would be able to produce such a thing at a reasonable price though.

By the way, I was fortunate to acquire an almost complete A22 chassis (just missing the speaker) several months ago, but I also have a spare brown bakelite A22 case as well. Otherwise I'd have given serious thought to your idea.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 1st Jan 2019, 8:57 pm   #49
AC/HL
Dekatron

Thread reopened by request.
Old 1st Jan 2019, 9:13 pm   #50
grasnall
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, Robert. I only read this thread now. I would like to congratulate you for your amazing job, on repairing this Ekco. I know that several years have gone, since you published it. As I have only the chassis and dial of this A22 radio, I was wondering if you could provide me any kind of clue where to buy the external case and the three buttons. Would it be feasible to print them on a 3D printer? I thank you for your comments/suggestion.
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 3:53 am   #51
stevehertz
Dekatron

To me, this is a great restoration. You could have tried (wrongly in my opinion) to have stuck slavishly to all out originality by way of sourcing old caps, resistors and wiring, but the end result to my mind is a victory for common sense, an amazing degree of effort and a rational, reasoned degree of accuracy. Well done!