UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2009, 10:09 am   #21
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: EKCO AD65 Disaster restored !

Hi Rich,

Congratulations on a top class restoration, it looks really good

Regarding the distorted tuning scale, I've never found a way of stretching or flattening these celluloid scales. You may obtain an initial result but the 'memory' in the plastic always pulls them back to how the were.

... However, if you can scan it, then it could be pulled into shape with photo editing software and re-printed. If you need any help, please PM me

David
Old 11th Aug 2009, 11:03 am   #22
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: EKCO AD65 Disaster restored !

Superb result and just shows what can be done, remarkable, and very quick as well

Geof
Old 11th Aug 2009, 2:20 pm   #23
batterymaker1
Heptode

Dang--you made a diamond from a lump of coal! Congrats.
Old 11th Aug 2009, 3:01 pm   #24
stevekendal
Heptode

Thats a fantastic job Rich. well done! Just goes to show that nothing is ever unrepairable/unrestorable and is infinitely more original than the so-called famous rally cars that have been rebuilt from little more than a logbook (but thats another story). As for looking perfect or not, these dusty old relics that we all love to mess with are no more entitled to titled to looking good-as-new than ourselves. Steve.
Old 11th Aug 2009, 10:21 pm   #25
ColinB
Heptode

Fantastic stuff!

Looks excellent, really well done. If you wanted a new scale, wasn't somone in the BVWS reproducing them a few years back? Personally, I'd leave it as it is, it looks good to me

Cheers,

Colin
Old 11th Aug 2009, 10:47 pm   #26
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

Brilliant job. Well done!
Old 12th Aug 2009, 11:10 am   #27
JoshWard
Octode

Wow!

'Nuff said really
Old 12th Aug 2009, 11:32 am   #28
Aerodyne
Octode

I just hope that should I come across an example as broken as this one was, I have the ability and patience to do as well as you when repairing it.
Amazing, really!
-Tony
Old 12th Aug 2009, 9:56 pm   #29
Top Cap
Octode

Just spotted this on a website about Gerry's home in Dulwich.
"Mr Wells's reproductions of the world's most expensive vintage model - the Ekco AD65 of 1934-5 - are on a bench awaiting a coat of paint, revealing that they are cunningly made from wood, not Bakelite."
Question is, did Gerry make a suitable replica dial that may fit your AD65?
Les
Old 13th Aug 2009, 7:24 pm   #30
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Les,
I don't know if Gerry had any repro scales made, maybe someone who has seen one of the repro sets will be able to say if the scale is the same size as the original sets, considering the amount of these Ekcos that seem to have survived (and the price an original good one would make) I would have thought there would be a market for them, if someone has a excellent set they have paid a lot of money for they probably wouldn't want a wibberly wobberly scale!?
I have thought about laminating the scale in plastic, I could make some filler pieces up for the ends in a much better match than present and then laminate it and cut it out to the correct shape, the other option would be to get some very thin perspex and sandwich the original scale between front and back,a sort of a reversable lamination that would hopefully keep it flat.
The other problem is that the scale buckles and bends when it is fitted into the apature in the cabinet, it has shrunk overall not just in length, which means the radius is slightly too small and it has to be wrestled into place and mounted securely to keep it in place.
I would like to keep the original scale if possible.
To everyone who has commented Thanks !
I must admit I did not expect the set to come out as well as it did and believe me it was easier than it first looked! Once I had the cabinet together I was detemined to get it as good as possible as I knew my friend who gave me the set would cast a critical eye over it and would tut tut if the repairs stood out ( he is one of those people who could have always have done a better job than you have done!) but he had his chance, 19 years it was in his loft !
To be fair to him he saw the set at the weekend and was very complimentry, I nearly fell over! he also said "how much do I owe you"? I said I would tell him in 19 years or so
There is a slight hum at low volume so I may change the (Blue LCR!) smoothing cap, but I am not going to get precious about the internal appearence, the repairs are not that invisible from inside! This is definately a "closed casket" restoration!

Rich.
Old 13th Aug 2009, 8:21 pm   #31
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I don't know if the AD65 is the same sort of thing as in my A22 but I am currently looking at the possibility of making clones using plexiglas as used for thin greenhouse sheets which would be adequate size (A4 won't do, needs A3). These are 3mm as against the original 1mm but this *should* be ok.

I've source a good quality A3 scanner (my mate in the office said I can use his) and have been offered a very good A22 dial to clone. A passable background/protective coating using a car paint has been found. The printing is the problem now as the Plexiglas won't go in the printer!

A bit of a Heath-Robinson attempt which I know won't be cheap to attempt but I feel is worth a try.

Dave
Old 16th Aug 2009, 10:34 pm   #32
ben
Dekatron

Just goes to show that nothing is impossible! amazing stuff, and I'm sure I'll read this thread occasionally to keep me going when I'm about to throw in the towel.

Now, keep that beauty as far away from shelves (kids, animals, nature...) as possible ;-)
Old 22nd Aug 2009, 3:30 pm   #33
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

An outstanding piece of work, Rich, well done!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 11th Sep 2009, 10:43 pm   #34
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hope I'm not too late Rich to congratulate you on your marvellous restoration! I'm really glad you decided to undertake the rebuild of the case. You've achieved something to be really proud of. I'm sure you'll agree these round Ekco's are well worth all the trouble and effort. A superb job, well done!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 12th Sep 2009, 3:20 pm   #35
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Robert
Thanks, it is now pride of place on the sideboard and is used almost daily. There are a few small issues to deal with before I will be completely happy with it, one of the repairs on the left hand lower side is bugging me, it was the worst and widest crack. The bakelite had splintered along the edges of the crack, I keep coming back to it and it is slowly getting less visable. I am still deliberating over the tuning scale and will probably laminate it then that will have to do as far as cosmetic repairs are concerned.
I have enjoyed repairing the set and am happy I didn't sell it off as spares now!
Rich.