UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2020, 5:34 pm   #1
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Dimplex AC3 air curtain

I aquired 2 of these over door fan heaters units from an earlier job at a Museum, quite some years back. They were oginally fitted over the main entrance door. About a year back I decided to fit one under a high shelf in my outside office room. During the last year the heater has become very noisy, so it was time to investigate the problem. Inside the enclosure is a twin impellor air blower with a central motor. Closer inspection revealed a 4mm side to side movement of the two impellors on the drive shafts. These impellors are held in place by a specially shaped grommet. Each impellor has a round hole with 4 slots at compass point positioning at one end, the other end has a spindle. The grommets are shaped to fit the unusual round hole and when inserted (slots act as a keyway) they need to be rotated 45 degrees to lock into position. The trouble was due to the grommets having rotated in their holes made worse by the aluminium impellor having worn down the rubber grommets, hence the sloppy fit. The spindle end is held in a phospher bronze bush, which is held inside another special rubber grommet type of device, that also has a metal outer cover to retain the lubricating grease.

Luckily, I have eventually found the only supplier of spare parts for the blower unit and have managed to place an order with them. The supplier is 'Fergas' who are in Sweden. The parts are called end bearing type 55077 or 55078 (depends on size) and grommit type K1524. The total was less than £19 for 2 of each item including UPS shipping. Given that if I wanted to replace the heater with the newer Dimplex model it would cost in excess of £200, I decided it was worth it. The build quality is very good on this air curtain, especially compared to a lot of newer varieties.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2970.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	220712   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2971.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	220713   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2976.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	220714   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2984.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	220715   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2975.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	220716  

Old 27th Nov 2020, 12:54 pm   #2
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Dimplex AC3 air curtain

I am pleased to say that my old Dimplex AC3 is now repaired and keeping my small office warm. The two types of end bearing differ in the type of moulded rubber used. The 55077 is the normal black rubber variant, where as the 55078 is of grey silicon rubber. There is no difference between them in dimensions that I can see.

To carry out this repair disconnect from the mains supply, as there are some exposed contacts inside. Then remove the outer covers. The motor and 2 impellors are pop riveted to a 'U' channel plate, which itself is screwed to the lower outer case with 4 screws. Once the motor and impellor assy is loose, the impellor housings have to be rotated about 10 degrees anti clockwise to free them from the motor housing. Then pull the each impellor housing away from the motor assy. Each impellor has a rubber grommet fitted to one end and it is this grommet that is a push fit to the motor shaft. To replace the grommet, firstly remove the end bearing from the housing, then remove the impellor from it's housing. Now remove the worn rubber grommet from the impellor. This might now be a good time to clean out the impellor and housing, as they will be full of dust. Do this outside and if a still day wear a mask! Now fit the new grommet to the impellor and place the impellor back into the housing. Now fit the replacemant end bearing by lining up the impellors end shaft into the end bearing bush, now push the end bearing back into the housing. Once this is done push the impellor grommet onto the motor shaft. Eventually you will get the impellor housing back to the motor assy, now locate the 4 holes at the end of the housing with the 4 lugs on the motor assy and rotate clockwise to lock back into position. Once both sides are done, re-rivet the support 'U' channel back to the motor/impellor unit. This complete assy can now be refitted to the bottom case panel. The rest is just a reversal of opening up the air curtain heater.

One further comment, when the impellors are refitted to the motor shafts, it might be necessary to physically push the impellors towards the the motor. Otherwise they may be too near the end bearings, causing friction in rotation. When done correctly the impellors should rotate evenly and freely. The only noise from the system should be that of air movement and possibly a slight vibration hum. The latter will depend on how and where the air curtain is mounted.

Hope tis might be of help to others.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2985.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	221341   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2988.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	221342