UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2018, 9:18 am   #21
mark2collection
Hexode

Default Re: NVCF Warwickshire, Sun 13th May

I've not been to the NVCF for a year or two, keep telling myself I really need to hold a stall & not bring an empty car, some money and have 'bright ideas!'

Either way, it's a great day out, mixing with like-minded people, general discussions about our interests along with anecdotes, plus the aroma of old electronics & bakelite ... marvelous ...

My most odd purchase, back in the early 2000's was an Everyready electro-therapy device! Looking at the method of construction & materials used, it must have been made (I'm guessing) early 1900's ...

If there's any interest, I'll dig it out & upload some photos.

See you next Sunday ... with an empty car

Mark
Old 5th May 2018, 10:37 am   #22
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2collection View Post
My most odd purchase, back in the early 2000's was an Everyready electro-therapy device! Looking at the method of construction & materials used, it must have been made (I'm guessing) early 1900's ...
If by "Everyready" you mean "Everay", I too have one of those amongs my collection of vintage electro-therapy equipment. Funnily enough, I purchased another one of said collection (a totally lethal French machine) at a past NVCF.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 5th May 2018 at 10:43 am.
Old 9th May 2018, 6:25 am   #23
mole42uk
Nonode

I'm going to the NVCF on Sunday, I've got a table and I'll be bringing some surplus test gear for sale. I'm not looking for lots of money, I just need the space!

As a complete novice, what's the form? Do I just put a price ticket on each item or is it good to accept offers? I haven't got a power supply, will it be okay fo assure buyers that items are working?
Thanks for any advice.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 9th May 2018, 7:00 am   #24
pastyboy
Hexode

We will be there and on the Saturday at Herr Bennetts AKA mikey405's TV swap meet, if anyone wants anything bringing up from Cornwall (it will have to be delivered to St Columb Major) as I am very busy this week and not got time to be running around. I could bring some smaller bits back with me too BTW.
Old 9th May 2018, 7:46 am   #25
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk View Post
As a complete novice, what's the form? Do I just put a price ticket on each item or is it good to accept offers? I haven't got a power supply, will it be okay fo assure buyers that items are working?
It'll be good to meet you! I've never taken a stall at the NVCF myself, although I've done so elsewhere. Certainly, clear price tickets on your major items are a must (it saves a lot of wasted time) but many buyers will automatically make an offer based on the price ticket. So if you're prepared to negotiate, it will help. Just set your prices accordingly!

Speaking now as a visitor/buyer, I would be happy to accept the seller's assurance that an item is working. After many years of attending the NVCF I have never been disappointed or misled. Non-working items will also sell if the price is right - some of us are looking for projects!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 9th May 2018 at 7:47 am. Reason: Punctuation
Old 9th May 2018, 8:49 am   #26
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Bargaining strategy is obviously a matter of personal choice. But if you've not been before then do be aware that you might get offers from other stallholders before the doors have even opened. Then the bargain-hunting early entrants at 09:00 might make an offer before the rest of the attendees get in at 10:30. So my advice would be to wait until everyone's had a chance to see your items before dropping your prices significantly. You might reply to under-bidders "Well, I'll consider an offer if the item is still here at noon, but I'm hopeful that it won't be". The last set of offers tend to come in towards the end of the show when buyers will tell you "You don't want to take that home with you, now do you ?". At that stage you'll have to decide whether they're right or not .

Cheers,

GJ
Old 9th May 2018, 9:20 pm   #27
The General
Hexode

I've had a table at the NVCF a few times when it was at the NEC. My advice would be to take as much stuff as you can reasonably handle, try to have a range of prices from £1 on up, (you can make a surprising amount selling little bits), try to have a full table & don't reduce your prices too early on. Price everything up, (but don't worry about the small items) if they're not then people tend to assume they're expensive. If someone asks you about an item & it's reasonably small, hand it to them to look at. It's called 'giving ownership' & it usually prompts a sale. Be honest & open about an item's condition, smile at the customer & Have Fun!
Old 9th May 2018, 9:25 pm   #28
Dave Moll
Dekatron

For the likes of £1 items, just stick them in a box with a label along the lines of "any item £1".
Old 9th May 2018, 10:04 pm   #29
electrogram
Heptode

yes items should have prices on, preferably not a very sticky paper label that takes the finish off a wooden cabinet when removed. i suppose i will be coming,Ill feel ive missed out if i dont, its just that when i get home i'll have to find somewhere to put all the 'bargains' i may have acquired
Old 10th May 2018, 6:39 am   #30
mole42uk
Nonode

Thanks! I’m happy to know that my thoughts were reasonably accurate. I’ve only found one wooden cabinet so far - an ancient Megger, so there’s not much of a problem with the finish!

See you on Sunday.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 10th May 2018, 7:03 am   #31
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Tie-on tags are useful for items with a delicate finish.
Old 10th May 2018, 7:47 am   #32
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Or stick the label on an area that won't be harmed such as the tuning scale or a large knob.

Some sellers use post-it notes because the adhesive doesn't cause any damage. Also they have enough room to cross out the price and write a lower one later (always better to show the price reductions rather than just using a new label).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th May 2018, 10:31 am   #33
Reelman
Octode

Certainly don’t mark the price with an ink marker directly onto the cabinet. I have a Bakelite cabinet where the price can still be seen faintly even after years of cleaning/polishing.

Oddly enough came from the NVCF in NEC days.

I have to say that of the three venues I have experienced for the NVCF, the current one is certainly the best. I do miss the November show that was in addition to the Spring one though. Certainly if I was only to attend one communication/technology related event each year, this would be the one.

Peter.
Old 10th May 2018, 3:09 pm   #34
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Certainly don’t mark the price with an ink marker directly onto the cabinet.
I'm amazed anyone would even think of doing that!
Old 10th May 2018, 3:20 pm   #35
electronicskip
Nonode

I am far more likely to buy an item if it DOES have a price on , rather than ask the vendor.
Old 10th May 2018, 7:03 pm   #36
Colourstar
Octode

TRAVEL NEWS

Just to alert anyone who doesn't know (and that included me), the M1 is going to be completely closed in both directions for the 12th/13th May weekend between junctions 23A and 24 to allow installation of a new bridge. This is going to affect anyone travelling down the M1 to the NVCF from anywhere north of the Nottingham area.

Severe delays are predicted in surrounding areas as drivers try to find alternative routes.

The motorway is due to open again at 3pm on Sunday so hopefully it will be up and running by the time the NVCF has finished and we are all heading home.

It's an absolute pain but better to be aware of it now so you can make suitable arrangements. Just thought I should pass this on.

Steve
Old 10th May 2018, 7:26 pm   #37
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
I have to say that of the three venues I have experienced for the NVCF, the current one is certainly the best.
I completely agree, it is ideal for the event, and they look after us well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
I am far more likely to buy an item if it DOES have a price on , rather than ask the vendor.
Me too.

Paul Stenning
Old 10th May 2018, 9:50 pm   #38
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Does anyone know whether the venue has relaxed its trolley ban? I can find no mention of it on either their site ot that of the NVCF.
Old 10th May 2018, 10:20 pm   #39
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Not as far as I know. It's normally no trolleys once it's open to the public. You could probably leave it just outside the door though, to get your purchases to the car.

Paul Stenning
Old 11th May 2018, 6:14 am   #40
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi
A little late but I thought I would offer anyway.
I will be travelling from Basildon around the M25 towards St Albans, onto the M1 passing Luton and Northampton, then on to the M45 and on to the exhibition centre.
I can take someone to the NVCF if you would like to share a car and costs.

Mike
Closed Thread