UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2018, 8:20 pm   #1
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Bush RP64

Hi all
i have this bush with a busted tone control .I have a replacement but i was just wondering if any of you had any tips on getting the old one out .Dont want to do any damage if i can help it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180711_173336.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	165923   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180711_173324.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	165924   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180711_173348.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	165925  
Old 11th Jul 2018, 8:55 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Bush RP64

The safest way is to remove all 3 controls on their mounting plate.

I have no information on this player and will have to work with your pictures only.

I think they will be the output transistors (that are ringed in the picture below) and bolted to the mounting plate which also functions as a heat sink.

Remove the nuts and bolts securing the output transistors and leave them suspended on their leads.

De-solder the 3 connections on each control with de-solder braid or a solder sucker tool.

I can't see from your picture whether or not the DIN socket is attached to the mounting plate or just mounted on the PCB. If it is fixed to the plate it will have to be de-soldered as well.

There are probably tabs on the mounting plate that pass through the PCB and are then soldered. De-solder the mounting tabs.

You should now be able to remove the mounting plate but do it carefully in case I have missed something.

With the plate removed fit your new control.

It should now be possible to refit the controls and the plate without damaging anything.

Resolder all the connections and bolt the output transistors back in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush RP64.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	165926  

Last edited by ukcol; 11th Jul 2018 at 8:59 pm. Reason: double word
Old 11th Jul 2018, 9:03 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The mounting holes for the controls on some sets were elongated, this allowed the control to be lifted off the PCB after unsoldering the 3 connections.

If not then dismantle the subsystem has Colin indicates.
Old 15th Jul 2018, 3:10 pm   #4
kirstyd
Heptode

Thanks guys, will do as you say.
Old 17th Jul 2018, 9:08 pm   #5
kirstyd
Heptode

followed your advice guys and it worked .old one out new one in all back together and working a treat .thanks again
Closed Thread