UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 14th May 2018, 8:33 am   #61
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: NVCF Warwickshire, Sun 13th May

I probably enjoyed yesterday's NVCF as much as any I've attended! It's always such a good-natured event. I picked up a few items and sold a similar number on the B&B, ending the day £3 up overall. One stallholder gave me a 50p item purely because I had no small change (I went back later and paid up) and from another stall I bought an old leather box, marked up as "free"! I gave the stallholder £1 anyway.

It was nice to meet up with a couple of old friends, and to put some faces to names amongst the Forum members who gathered at 2 o'clock. Thanks for the photo Greg and Paul, and thanks too to the B&B team and to the organisers in general.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 14th May 2018, 8:57 am   #62
Broomradioman
Tetrode

Default Big thanks for another great NVCF.

Just a note to orgs to say thanks for a top day out. Came back with a Dansette Bermuda mk2, black, chrome in vgc, albeit a bit quiet, prob needs a higher output cart. A pair of klipsch monitors, a bargain, and some russian 78s. Great breakfast and my wife and lad had the lamb shank for lunch. .

thanks all.
Old 14th May 2018, 9:10 am   #63
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: big thanks for another great NVCF

Hear! Hear! I agree entirely. A big thanks to all who played a part in its organisation especially the tireless workers on the bring and buy.

Looking forward to the next...

Peter
Old 14th May 2018, 9:22 am   #64
Pamphonica
Nonode

We had a wonderfully busy time at the Bring and Buy, raising a total of over £1500 for the Dulwich Wireless and TV Museum. This is a record for us.

Many thanks to Jeffrey, Brian, Ruth and Chris for helping on the stall.

And thanks to all of you for your generosity. The noble way in which you hoovered up the mound of items at £1 each in the closing stages was much appreciated, leaving a virtually completely bare stall by the end.

I ended up with a couple of pre-war Avos which was very nice, but was not (too) temped by other, larger, items. No need to smuggle anything back home.

Another well-organised and friendly day out at NVCF. Thanks to Greg and the team for their usual stirling efforts.

Jeremy
Old 14th May 2018, 10:07 am   #65
chriswood1900
Octode

Another great day out, and now a regular event for me along with the visit to Mikey's on the Saturday. I enjoyed meeting all the visitors and members whilst at the Bring and Buy and a big thankyou to all the team who organised the event.
Chris
Old 14th May 2018, 11:53 am   #66
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

It was another great day out, Mum and Dad came along too, and I think they enjoyed it! Somehow managed to fill the car for the journey home, not sure how that happened, I wasn't planning on buying so much! Plenty of projects to keep me busy

Also nice to meet a few forum members at the 2pm meet, although I didn't stay very long, as we were on our way back to the car to drop some bits off. Also nice to see a lot of the people I normally see there too.

Top purchase of the day is probably the Pye sunrise set, I've been after one for a while, and this one looks absolutely lovely, it'll look good alongside the Ekco RS3 (the one with the trees by the river!) which is currently being restored, thread to come soon! Bought some nice little Pifco 'all in one' meters too, one of which is in it's original box, and an Amplion test meter in it's box. One thing I missed out on was the nice Sony monitor on the B&B stall! And I really wish I had the money for that nice RAF clock that someone was selling!

Stopped off at The Dun Cow in Dunchurch on the way home, which was nice, It used to be a regular thing when we used to live down the road. Got home around 8:30pm. Bring on next year!

Regards,
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7519.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	162804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7534.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	162805  
Old 14th May 2018, 12:04 pm   #67
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Forum group meeting photo from Greg.
Great at the 2pm 'get together' to have been able to put faces to names - people I've 'known' by name for years on the forum, but had never met in person.

Paul started the forum on 20 December 2002, and I joined on 16 February 2003. In the ensuing 15 years, years, the forum has grown to 20,797 members, of whom 1,850 are active. There have been 83,700 threads, and 793,700 posts to date. In all of those years I'd never met Paul personally to thank him for his efforts, and the efforts of the rest of the forum team, so I was pleased to have been able to remedy that yesterday. (I'm second from the right on the back row).

Along with my wife, I've been going to the NVC since it was at the NEC and later the Motorcycle Museum, until it settled on Warwick - by far the best venue in every respect, and so well organised down to the last detail. Interesting to see how things change over the years. No so many years ago, record players and phones didn't seem to feature so prominently, which may reflect changing tastes. At one time, there seemed to be lots of Bush TR82s and Bush DAC90As - I didn't see many of either yesterday.

We left at 2.45pm. A lot of stuff seemed to have been unsold, but maybe there was a last fling? (Most of the test gear seemed to have sold quite quickly).

Excellent event in every respect.

A few pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AVO VCM MK4.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	162806   Click image for larger version

Name:	AVO VCM163.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	162807   Click image for larger version

Name:	AVO Sig Genny.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	162808   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCOPES Etc.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	162809   Click image for larger version

Name:	DAC90A Bulbs.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	162810  

Old 14th May 2018, 12:11 pm   #68
David G4EBT
Dekatron

A few pics of phones and record players, neither of which interest me personally.

Sorry about the poor quality of the record player pics.

I topped up my stock of silicone covered flex from Phil Marrison, polypropylene caps, got some nice small elliptical speakers, sundry sockets and plugs and resisted the temptation to buy any more sets to add to the pile!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dansette Diplomat in original box.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	162811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Record Players.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	162812   Click image for larger version

Name:	More record players.jpg
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	162813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phones.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	162814   Click image for larger version

Name:	More phones.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	162815  

Old 14th May 2018, 2:09 pm   #69
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks to you and everyone else for photo coverage David. You shots are fine. I particularly enjoyed the chance to see that full 19 set restoration! [p55* Keith's TV]. I recall when a
chassis was 2/6d to strip for parts. Never my favourite set otherwise-I wanted something with a half moon dial ie R107!

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 14th May 2018 at 2:14 pm.
Old 14th May 2018, 3:00 pm   #70
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Forum group meeting photo from Greg.
We left at 2.45pm. A lot of stuff seemed to have been unsold, but maybe there was a last fling? (Most of the test gear seemed to have sold quite quickly)
A nice shot of my test gear stash lurking amongst the telephone stalls. A wonderful crowd bought most of the larger items so there was very little to take home. I have room to get to my bench now.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 14th May 2018, 4:08 pm   #71
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
A nice shot of my test gear stash lurking amongst the telephone stalls. A wonderful crowd bought most of the larger items so there was very little to take home. I have room to get to my bench now.
I should have taken a final shot just before we left, but your table was empty Richard!
Old 14th May 2018, 4:25 pm   #72
mole42uk
Nonode

Index:
Old 14th May 2018, 4:47 pm   #73
Jolly 7
Octode

Although the weather forecast wasn't good initially, it turned out to be a lovely early summer's day, so I suddenly decided to run to the fair in the morning. The 200 mile plus day round trip on the train from was expensive but the NVCF was well worth it. It was my first time there and it was a real treasure chest for all sorts of gadgets and parts. I was there for four hours till closing and it still wasn't enough for me to go through everything. I bought two portable radios; a Pye and a Defiant, a Sencor Tape Recorder, a very old but interesting rheostat-type instrument, someone's incomplete/broken project box, a 12V geared motor, a Gillette Blue razor blade, an almost pristine Casio watch and lots of random spares. I was so absorbed in it all I forgot to try to meet fellow forum members, so my apologies to all who were there. Let's hope better for the next time.

Pictures of some of my purchases attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180514_130428.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	162831   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180514_125201.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	162832  
Old 14th May 2018, 6:34 pm   #74
Radiocruncher
Hexode

This was my 1st ever NVCF. I travelled up the evening before and stayed in a B&B so I was nice and fresh for an early start. It was a bit chilly queued up in my polo shirt at 0900 but soon warmed up. Once inside I did not know which direction to go in. There was so much to see. I went around all the stalls in around an hour picking up a couple radios on the way and thought I was done. How wrong was I!. I would estimate that I went around the stalls at least 8 times. Every time I went around I discovered more items that I hadn’t seen before. The bring and buy store brought new items in every time I came back from stashing my buys in the car. I was even persuaded to buy a small box of bits that I didn’t want for a donation to the museum by a keen salesman. I picked up 5 transistor radios and various other bits and pieces but my buy of the day was a Nakamichi cassette deck. I think I bought it on the 6th trip around and was surprised to still see it there. All in all a great day, really well planned and laid out. I will definitely be returning next year. Here’s a pic of my tape deck for those interested and a couple of useful transformers that I found lurking under a table.

Regards

Graham
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E9488A9C-6E5E-4F9F-A5AB-4E92709520B6.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	162837   Click image for larger version

Name:	9845D1BD-1711-40F1-9FE4-CCE4CAC7ADCB.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	162838  
Old 14th May 2018, 6:41 pm   #75
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
Another great NVCF, so thanks to all concerned!

I bought three Hifi magazines, two CDs and...er...two Strathearn turntables.
indeed!
Old 14th May 2018, 7:44 pm   #76
mark2collection
Hexode

Many thanks to all who orchestrated 2018's NVCF, we had a great day out, & the queue for the general public was swiftly dealt with.

It's also great looking through previous posts & seeing items from the day, having made their way to a new home. Attached, our purchases. I've always fancied a Sobell 511W. The Pilot 53, my daughter took a real shine to, & she's right, it's a marvellous item, the gramophone & Nipper, the wife 'had to have ...'

Sadly I couldn't make the 2'o clock photo opportunity, perhaps next year

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0961.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	162845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	162846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0963.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	162847  
Old 14th May 2018, 8:12 pm   #77
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly 7 View Post
Although the weather forecast wasn't good initially, it turned out to be a lovely early summer's day.
Yes I think the organisers of NVCF seem to have a special arrangement with mother nature, who always seems to supply good weather for the day - or do I just mentally blot out the wet ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly 7 View Post
I was so absorbed in it all I forgot to try to meet fellow forum members, so my apologies to all who were there. Let's hope better for the next time.
I must apologise that I did exactly the same. Even though someone asked me the time at 14:08, I was so wrapped up in the business of going round stalls that I never gave a thought to the fact that I had intended to be at the get-together at that time.

No major purchases this time (in fact I found I'd spent less than half the cash I took with me), but went away with a few goodies.

On one stall I admitted to the stallholder that I was vaguely tempted by a box of telephones and intercom systems he had marked up as "£10 the lot", so he said "they're yours for a fiver". It was an offer I couldn't really refuse.
Old 14th May 2018, 8:31 pm   #78
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If we do a forum meeting again next year I will organise an announcement over the PA a few minutes before... although the PA there isn't great!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 14th May 2018, 9:12 pm   #79
mole42uk
Nonode

I must confess that the reason I remebered the 14:00hrs meet was that my tables were very close to the entrance so that when I saw a couple of faces I recognised in a gathering, I remembered!

Index:
Old 14th May 2018, 9:51 pm   #80
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thank you Paul. That may help - even if the content of the announcement isn't entirely clear. I must admit that of the announcements made this year, I think the only word I managed to pick out while I was in the melée of the hall was "lunch" (during, I believe, the announcements of the start and end of availability of said meal).