UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2018, 1:33 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Impromtu spray booth

Many is the time that I have wanted to spray paint an item but have struggled for somewhere to do it. In the past I have just put items on the floor of my workshop (on newspaper) but obviously there is the issue of overspray going everywhere. Recently tasked with a few items to spray I bought some 2m x 3m plastic sheeting off Ebay and used it to make a screen in what otherwise would have been a no-go area to spray. I used the normal newspapers on the floor. The 'system' is 100% effective in avoiding overspray and getting paint on other stuff in the vicinity. After I've finished I'll just fold the plastic sheeting up till next time. Of course you need good ventilation and in my case I have the garage door open to fresh air and also avoid breathing the fumes by vacating the garage after spraying until they have gone. I also recommend using a 'Can Gun' to affix on to the top of the spray can so that it can be held and used like a 'proper' spray gun.

Ok, it's not a proper spray booth and probably wouldn't suit a compressor, but for my purposes, occasional use, it enables me to effectively spray items with little or no hassle, no overspray anywhere, and can be 'folded up' and put away in seconds!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180428_160011.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	162026   Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	162027  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 1:51 pm   #2
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: Impromtu spray booth

I like it. I'm about to do some messing with a spray gun, and I could adapt your approach - if I do I'll post a pic or two.
Old 1st May 2018, 7:50 am   #3
FIXITNOW
Octode

I use a very large cardboard box having removed the top(which is/was the 4 flaps ) and the front. works great and I can just fold it up when dry (as the flaps on the other end are not taped) and tuck it in a corner till next time
Old 1st May 2018, 8:45 am   #4
GrimJosef
Dekatron

I built something a little larger once using a cheap 3-section clothes horse as the frame, covered in clear polythene sheet. Again it folds up when not in use.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 1st May 2018, 2:44 pm   #5
electronicskip
Nonode

Ive re sprayed quite a few wood cased electrical items and also lots of metal cased CB radios in my time and I used one of those tiny plastic greenhouses to do it in.
Ideal for the job.
Old 1st May 2018, 3:11 pm   #6
mark_in_manc
Octode

Nice idea!

Another spray tip (which I hope is not too OT) is to hang on to small glass jars with screw lids (mustard, small jam pots etc) that you can put inside your spray gun can. It makes clean-up a lot easier, and if you have some paint (or gun wash / thinners / whatever) left over you can put the lid on and leave it on the shelf for next time.
Closed Thread