UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2016, 4:42 pm   #1
filmprojectors
Triode

Default Unknown tape recorder

Hi I picked up this old scrap reel to reel recorder for parts and cant find a makers name or model number any ideas anybody ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05403.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	126220  
Old 18th Jun 2016, 4:45 pm   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Uknown tape recorder

Hi,
It looks like a very early Brenell to me, but don't quote me on it.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 18th Jun 2016, 6:39 pm   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Unknown tape recorder

Emi tr51.
Old 18th Jun 2016, 8:29 pm   #4
Nicklyons2
Octode

Is that VU meter original? it looks a bit modern compared to the rest of the machine. Also is the deck a Wearite or an EMI 'in house' clone of one?
Old 18th Jun 2016, 8:50 pm   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

The deck is EMI through-and-through, and quite unlike Wearite internally.
I've never seen one with that style of meter, it's almost certainly a replacement.
These machines are capable of very high quality when well set up.
Watch out for flutter resulting from hardening of the flexible coupling in the capstan drive.
Also be aware that they use reverse-wrap on the takeup spool.
If you're thinking of restoring it, I think I *might* have a replacement bolt-through transport knob somewhere; a standard one won't do, as the mechanism is very heavy.
Old 19th Jun 2016, 9:34 am   #6
lesmw0sec
Octode

Oh, what a sad state it is in! Hours of fun getting it back to good nick though. I presume that the TR90 was a rather later derivative?
Old 19th Jun 2016, 10:24 am   #7
Radio Wrangler

Before you put a load of effort into it, take a good look at the heads. If they're not the format you want, or they are badly worn, then it may simply not be worth proceeding unless you want a non-worker for a display case in a museum.

David
Old 19th Jun 2016, 11:54 am   #8
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

By the look of the erase head, it's full track mono. The TR90 is a different beast altogether, conceived as a replacement for the BTR2. The TR50/51/52 used the same deck as EMI's domestic machines and, frankly, were not EMI's best products. The TR51 was known in one studio as the "TR fifty-Waaaahhhhn!" on account of the flutter it would generate at the drop of a hat.
Closed Thread