UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2016, 5:34 pm   #1
kaisunofcarlisl
Retired Dormant Member

Default Grundig TK120 belt replacement

I have acquired an old machine which need both belts replaced (and possibly the valve).
I have looked through all the old forums and can't figure this out. Reference is made to a guy who used to sell clear instructions on eBay, but no longer.

So for the benefit of a newcomer such as myself, will someone explain precisely how to replace the belts please? (preferably with pictures and word of one syllable!)

There are plenty of places to but the belts, so that isn't an issue!
Old 17th Jun 2016, 2:33 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK120 belt replacement

Hi there.
Right - the first thing NOT to do is to remove the obvious red-painted screws on the sub-deck where the pinch roller lives. This results in a clang as everything falls apart! What you need to do to replace the capstan flywheel drive belt - and it's a bit of a pain - is to remove the bottom bearing plate that the capstan bears onto. Then you thread the belt up through the small hole and round the capstan flywheel and then onto the motor pulley. As you do it you think there must be a better way but believe me - there isn't.
The reel drive belt is a bit more straightforward, and doesn't always need changing.
Re the 'valve' - there are three valves in here and they don't often give trouble, though they can go down to air (white top) occasionally. What does fail is the very low value fuse accessible via the back panel. I think it's 80mA though 100mA won't do any harm. This results in no sound.
Good luck - it's a nice basic machine.
Glyn
Closed Thread