UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2016, 5:31 pm   #1
SkireMusic
Retired Dormant Member

Default Akai 1710L: strange smell followed by reels not turning

Today when using my Akai 1710L I suddenly noticed that the reels had stopped turning part way through a recording. There was a strange smell for around half an hour leading up to that. And the unit did feel hot (even more so than usual).

The tape recorder powers up fine, and audio still comes through the headphone socket when in record mode, or when tape is pulled along the tape heads. But the motor doesn't seem to be working now (at least that's what I suspect). The fan isn't running either.

I found an old thread which mentions issues with the capacitors. There is also mention of a bad smell, and wax oozing out of the capacitors. When replacing the valves yesterday I actually noticed some wax had dripped from somewhere, onto one of the old valves.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. Sadly my knowledge of electronics is pretty poor.
Old 13th Jun 2016, 6:44 pm   #2
Nicklyons2
Octode

Default Re: Akai 1710L: strange smell followed by reels not turning

I don't know in the case of the 1710 but the 4000 has a motor with a phase shift capacitor secured on the motor itself with a bracket. It's probably a tubular thing around 1" dia and 4" long maybe aluminium with plastic sleeving on. If this has failed, you'll have to hope it has not damaged the motor, but fortunately washing machines etc require similar capacitors and better than original replacements are readily available for around £5.

Others on here will know your model better but in the meantime have a look for what I've described.
Old 13th Jun 2016, 9:38 pm   #3
SkireMusic
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the tip. I have the service manual here so can check that and have a look inside the unit itself.
Old 14th Jun 2016, 1:31 am   #4
dmaillard
Tetrode

The Akai 1710L can have two motor run capacitors, one is a 2.0uF aluminium can type attached to the motor housing and the other is a smaller 0.5uF unit attached near the top left hand side as viewed from the rear of the deck. The 0.5uF capacitor is usually the one that fails first, and this will be quite evident from the contents of the capacitor leaking out.

Regards
David
Old 14th Jun 2016, 9:35 am   #5
Nicklyons2
Octode

From what David has said in the above post it sounds as if the motors may be similar between the 1710 & the 4000; if so note that the two capacitors are arranged to enable 50Hz or 60Hz mains use. If you are only going to use in on 50Hz mains just get a fixed capacitor of the relevant value. I.E if on 50Hz the 2.0 and 0.5 uF capacitors are paralled just get a 2.5uf capacitor.
Old 14th Jun 2016, 7:03 pm   #6
SkireMusic
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you both for the advice. I'll have a go with the capacitors (or just one) and if that fails I'll look into getting some help with it.
The previous thread I found also gives advice, seemingly with this very issue -

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51071

I actually realised that I know the person who started that thread so have contacted him personally for some tips on doing this.
Thanks again, any other thoughts will of course be much appreciated,

Tom
Closed Thread