UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Sep 2015, 11:50 pm   #1
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Fostex MC102 - no sound from cassette

As part of his unfolding mid-life crisis a friend has decided to relive one aspect of his youth by buying some 1980-1990s era music synthesisers. To combine the audio from them all into one output he took a punt on an 'as seen' Fostex MC102 (circa 1993) which is a rack-mount combined audio mixer and four track (?) cassette recorder.

He's since found that there is no audio from the cassette deck - he's tried playing a pre-recorded cassette which, if the deck is a four track, will obviously result in two tracks playing forwards and two playing backwards. However, he doesn't get any audio from the 'monitor' output.

I haven't been able to find an online diagram or service manual for this unit yet, although Fostex do still exist and the user manual is here:

(Scroll down the list to find the MC102)

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d.../manuals.shtml

Are there any 'stock faults' likely to be causing this symptom?
Old 23rd Sep 2015, 12:26 am   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Fostex MC102 - no sound from cassette

Slight correction: On reading through the manual I've realised that the cassette side of things is just a standard stereo recorder / player, not a multitrack unit as I had originally assumed.
Old 23rd Feb 2016, 5:32 pm   #3
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Hello,
Don't know if you're still having trouble here? I'm just down the road (?) from you, in Guisborough.
I have a 102 as well, same use, mine is working fine.

Firstly, when playing, is there any indication on the meter?
How are you listening - 'phones, or output via line? Do both not work?

There are a number of alternative settings, both level and on/off switches. Particular settings of these may cause no evident output. I've certainly had cases when I had no output, but one or more controls were not in correct position! In any case, more detail would be helpful.

Geoff Barnard
Old 9th Jul 2016, 1:20 am   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Geoff, apologies for not noticing this reply sooner. We are actually often closer than you knew, since I drive past you on the Guisborough bypass on my way to the North York moors most weekends. I know the town itself quite well.

The 102 in question is owned by a friend who lives quite some way away from both of us, so I never saw it myself and I wasn't able to unearth any service info on them from any source that I could think of.

But anyway, he had a look at it and found cracked solder joints around the legs of what sounded to me like a regulator transistor or actual regulator IC - once he'd resoldered those it sprang to life. Presumably the usual solder fractures caused by heating / expansion / cooling / contraction of the legs of a device which normally runs warm.
Closed Thread