UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2013, 8:34 pm   #1
rcaradiola
Retired Dormant Member

Default Valve tester adapter question

Greetings! I mainly use my Hickok 539A valve tester to test my radio/tv valves. I am currently restoring a Bush DAC90A valve radio. The valve test data for the Rimlock valves (B8A base) states to use the 'Hickok adapter code 1050-129'. Nobody in the US seems to know anything about this adapter. I was hoping someone in the UK would have some information for this adapter since Rimlock valves with the B8A base are much more common there.

Regards,
RCARADIOLA
Donald
Old 22nd Oct 2013, 10:31 pm   #2
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: Valve tester adapter question

I am not sure about Hickock, but for early Avo testers I believe that the adapters just had a suitable plug that went into an octal socket and wired pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2 etc, on the new socket. Have you tried this 1-1, 2-2 etc wiring and seen if it works using an existing socket?
Old 23rd Oct 2013, 8:31 am   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I made a series of adaptors, using the principle described by Jeremy, to plug into my Weston TV-4A/U tube checker, and it works very well. The only problem is obtaining the test data for setting up the valve tester...

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 23rd Oct 2013, 10:16 pm   #4
rcaradiola
Retired Dormant Member

Jeremy, Phil: Yes, I read an article pertaining to this. I just ordered a couple rimlock B8A sockets and will give this a try. I do own a Funke W16 Wehrmacht valve tester (1938) that has a B8A socket. The problem I have is that I don't have the cards for the DAC90A valve types.

Thanks,
RCARADIOLA
Donald Kennedy
Closed Thread