UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Oct 2013, 2:59 pm   #1
short wave
Pentode

Default P.S.U “POWER UNIT EST20” from Power electronics (London) LTD 15 volt to 13.6 conversi

I have one of these units (15 Volt says the dyno tape sticker) .The unit I assume is capable of supplying 20 Amps , 2X small mcb on front of unit . The unit measures 6.5” x 8.5” x 16.5”. It has a crowbar fitted . Main O/P tx are 2N3055s and main pcb/driver pcb has six 2N3053 on it . An interesting thing is all the O/P txs are in pairs and each pair is on a removable card , ideal if one goes S/C for fault finding. The unit is nicely laid out for servicing /access to components but suffers from dry joints (2 so far on rect stack.... actual lack of solder, havn`t looked as yet under
pcbs for others!)
The company “Power electronics (London)LTD “ now no longer trade.

Question is has any one a schematic or manual? as I wish to wind it down to 13.6 Volts (the preset wont quite do it).

Regards S-W (Andrew)
Old 15th Oct 2013, 10:05 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: P.S.U “POWER UNIT EST20” from Power electronics (London) LTD 15 volt to 13.6 conv

Are there any helpful fixed resistors either side of the preset one's track? If so, making one higher and the other lower by the same amount will shift the control range either up or down a bit which may sort it.

Bear in mind that if it's linear, the output devices will now dissipate more at a given output current than before- it would be worth a check to see what their Vce is at the nominal 15V output and full current. Add 1.4V to that figure to see how much to derate max current by to get the same dissipation. In a typical scenario there may be say xV Vce- increasing this to yV means you need to derate current by x/y.

Or blow a fan over the heatsink!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 16th Oct 2013, 3:39 pm   #3
Humber888
Heptode

Default Re: P.S.U “POWER UNIT EST20” from Power electronics (London) LTD 15 volt to 13.6 conv

Andrew, I have an EST20 which will go down to 13.5V on its front panel preset. On the front is written 13.8V @ 35A so your initial guess at current may be wrong. Having said that, I don't think I've ever had a big enough load to prove it!

I have some sheets of circuits and components for the EST20A. There may be slight differences but probably not many. It looks like these were copied from a full handbook as the page numbering goes 3, 4, 5, 19, 20. Hand written on one sheet are notes that say RV1 sets coarse voltage, RV2 sets f.s. current (up to 40A) and RV3 sets the foldback current. Someone here may have the full handbook which would be very useful; failing that I can scan what I've got and email it to you.

How do the big Daly 5000uF electrolytics look on your unit? One of mine has a small bulge on the rubber vent, although the unit was working fine when last used. Still, I'd check them for capacitance and ESR if you plan the really thrash the unit.

Mike
Old 16th Oct 2013, 6:05 pm   #4
short wave
Pentode

Thankyou "Herald1360" Chris and "Humber888" Mike.
The idea of modding the resistors on either side of the pot was an idea (will most likley get it to increase first rarther than reduce!!.. S**`s law) Info on dissipation useful ,2N3055 should be ok from memory about 45-50 volts and 125 watts dissipation -subject to temp. As i have a quantity of old ATX fans they may get used! Its O/P could power them!!
Mike, your sheets will be useful. I will send you a PM.
The capacitor "bank" takes up about 1/3 of the space total of 9 cans in a 3x3 block. I put the unit on a "variac" to power up as precaution,as its history was not known.
Regards S-W Andrew
Old 17th Oct 2013, 12:50 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by short wave View Post
Info on dissipation useful ,2N3055 should be ok from memory about 45-50 volts and 125 watts dissipation -subject to temp.
Err, no chance. On a fan cooled heatsink, you might squeeze about 30W into a 3055. On a water cooled plate maybe twice as much. My forgettory says 115W Ptot @ 25C case temperature. Add a few C/W between case and ambient and the rating comes well down.

We used hundreds of MJ15024 and 2N6259 "250W" TO3s in days of yore and about 40W aircooled and 90W water cooled was as far as we were happy!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Oct 2013, 2:12 pm   #6
Humber888
Heptode

Looks like the pdf file of EST20 information is not too big to upload, so here is what I have. If anybody has the full handbook, this might give information on setting the unit up for different output voltages.

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EST20_PSU.pdf (1.73 MB, 531 views)
Old 17th Oct 2013, 5:16 pm   #7
short wave
Pentode

Thankyou for your info about max dissipation.
Mike it looks like the "bizz".I thaught the M.C.B. were to fully protect the O/P, seems to be used to protect the dual secondarys. I will start with the "voltage question " first as origionaly posted, then I will have to try and load the PSU up and see what the max current might be.The big Daly 5000uF electrolytics (70 working volt on my unit) don`t seem to have any vents.The bases are flat card/plastic and appear in as new condition . Regards S-W Andrew
Closed Thread