UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2013, 4:03 pm   #1
John Harwood
Retired Dormant Member

Question TMK Multimeter model TW-20S

I've just picked up a TMK model TW-20S. It 'works' but the needle is not swinging full scale. What I need is a circuit diagram.
Here's something odd... The two AA batteries are wired in parallel, so the meter is working on a nominal 1.5 volts. Has some oik played with it in the past, and re-soldered the battery holder the wrong way?
If anyone out there has a schematic that they could share, I'd be eternally grateful. Also, any knowledge or suggestions would improve my understanding.
Old 14th Oct 2013, 10:27 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: TMK Multimeter model TW-20S

Can't help with a circuit diagram I'm afraid, however if what you mean is "the needle is not swinging to full scale on the ohms range" then that does indicate that the two batteries should be in series, giving nominally 3 volts, rather than in parallel as the oik has left it.

Are you able to test the meter on various voltage and current ranges to see whether the needle can actually swing to full scale, and how accurately it reads?

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 16th Oct 2013, 7:50 pm   #3
John Harwood
Retired Dormant Member

Phil G4SPZ... Thanks for your prompt reply. Since posting my request, I have been tinkering with the TMK meter, and tried the cells in series... The needle swings way too far and still doesn't return to zero.
So I took the thing entirely to pieces and discovered that the meter movement hair spring was not firmly attached. A bit of trial and error, and a 4.5mm spanner, (I knew that spanner would come in useful one day) and the retaining nut was nipped up at exactly the right place to give the needle a chance of zeroing on the adjusting cam.
The battery is now back to 1.5v in parallel, and everything works fine. Maybe I posted for help too early... I should have had more confidence in my ability to get to the root of the matter and perform a fix.
I'm now going to tackle fixing the economy... Watch this space.
Old 16th Oct 2013, 8:45 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Well done John, and it's a bold man who tackles meter movements and hairsprings, but you seem to have affected a cure and kept yet another vintage item out of landfill

The economy may take you a little longer, but post a question here if you get stuck. In the meantime, we'll keep watching the news...

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 16th Oct 2013, 11:38 pm   #5
glowinganode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harwood View Post
Here's something odd... The two AA batteries are wired in parallel,
I'm sure I've come across this before, I think it's a way of providing the current required for a low resistance range, whilst maintaing a slim physical profile.

Rob.