UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2016, 11:29 am   #1
Maxidog
Retired Dormant Member

Default Leevers-Rich Proline 2000

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and a first post for me!
I have a Leevers Rich Proline 2000? I think? That I'm planning on getting up and running but I'm struggling to find a service manual and much in the way of info. I know that this is a Klark Teknik design that Leevers Rich took over to produce but that's it. Does anyone have any more info on these? Mine is without its trolley frame so currently in three sections but the thing that is baffling me is that on this model the vu's were set into the panel that holds the alignment cards and the switch system for switching between NAB and DIN? There is no vu's with the machine and I can't find photos of any machines where the vu's were positioned in a different section? Any info or advice would be appreciated.
I've included some photos of the machine.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	126193   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	126219  
Old 18th Jun 2016, 2:27 pm   #2
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Re: Leevers rich, proline 2000

Very few Prolines were made but they (or the same one!) occassionally comes up for sale. The two VU meters were usually in the centre of the panel either above or below the deck. Can you do a photo showing this panel for clarity? It is quite possible the panel was arranged as the customer wanted. I don't have any circuit diagrams and you'd be lucky to find a manual.
Old 18th Jun 2016, 7:13 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Leevers Rich Proline 2000

These sorts of machines often don't have any level controls (except internal presets) or meters, as they would be intended to be driven from a mixing desk with its own meters. The recording levels would be set so that the onset of distortion was not until the meters on the mixing desk were some way into the red, and only need to be altered if a new brand of tape with different magnetic characteristics was obtained.
Old 18th Jun 2016, 10:27 pm   #4
Maxidog
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenellic2000 View Post
The two VU meters were usually in the centre of the panel either above or below the deck. Can you do a photo showing this panel for clarity? It is quite possible the panel was arranged as the customer wanted.
Hi,
Many thanks for your reply. The first photo below shows the panel in question on top of the power supply, the power supply would normally be at the lower section of the trolley. The second photo ( apologies for the quality! ) shows an example of another machine, this I presume would have been the layout of my machine in the trolley? You can see the panel in question is set in front of the main recorder, you can see the access panel on the left that holds the alignment cards and to the right of that you can see the NAB and DIN switch, obviously below that switch you can see the two VU's and the input and output level pots, none of these are on my panel?

Regards, Rob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	126251   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	126252  

Last edited by AC/HL; 19th Jun 2016 at 12:34 am. Reason: Ebay rules
Old 19th Jun 2016, 10:41 am   #5
brenellic2000
Octode

Thanks Rob

Those panels were pretty standard layout. As Julie says there are anomalies with professional decks. Is there a serial number? The first batches were CKD-assemblies from Klerk-Tecnik so may have differed slightly from Leevers-Rich built models.

Barry
Old 19th Jun 2016, 12:00 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Default Re: Leevers-Rich Proline 2000

As Julie said in #3, it's completely normal for pro decks used in radio and recording studios to lack any sort of local record level control. The standard BBC local radio setup in the early 70s was to have a pair of big trolley Studers on the right hand side of the desk, slaved to the appropriate fader for remote stop/start. There were no VU meters in sight, everything being calibrated to the desk PPMs.
Old 19th Jun 2016, 1:22 pm   #7
Maxidog
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
These sorts of machines often don't have any level controls (except internal presets) or meters, as they would be intended to be driven from a mixing desk with its own meters. The recording levels would be set so that the onset of distortion was not until the meters on the mixing desk were some way into the red, and only need to be altered if a new brand of tape with different magnetic characteristics was obtained.
Thanks Julie and Paul, this would explain the different panel layout. I think the machine was originally owned by the bbc so would make sense.
Barry, I don't see a serial number but the machine is labelled up on the recorder top as leevers rich.

I will continue the search for a service manual.

Regards to all.
Old 19th Jun 2016, 2:50 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

This grade of professional tape recorder was like a meccano kit. There weren't really any standard models, some customer like the BBC bought one or several on a contract and lots of options were selected and specified on that contract. You got split, transportable cases, rackmount versions, console versions, meter bridges, no meters and so on.

Because so much of the machine is interchangeable. which part carries the soul of the machine? which bit gets the serial plate? Often you'll get a lot of serial numbers... one on each plug-in PCB, one on the frame, one on the drive chassis, one on each headblock.

The same applies to manuals. If you're lucky, somewhere there is a loose-leaf binder with sections for each module invoked by a contract. These will have gone into central stores and pulled when something was in for repair or cal. This means that they are separated from the machines at the time of any clear-out or sell-off.

Your recorder was Klark Teknik from before they pulled out of tape for a while and then got in by buying DDA. They've had so many reorganisations and moves that your chances are not good of finding anything by that route, but a surprise would be nice.

I'd try hunting for manuals for individual modules.

David
Old 19th Jun 2016, 4:07 pm   #9
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Kat Manton, late of this forum, had a K-T SM-2, so may have some info. There was a guy on ebay not long ago selling several of these - perhaps he has a manual?
Old 7th Jul 2016, 12:09 am   #10
Gillian
Pentode

I've got an ex Thames Tv Proline 2000 and the manual .
Mine has the trolley and meter bridge .
It's also fully working ,so if I can be of any help
All the best
Gill
Old 7th Jul 2016, 8:30 am   #11
mole42uk
Nonode

Ref to Paul in #5, AFAIR the Beeb never used VU meters, the desks I drove always used PPMs. Dunno about the other broadcasters though.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 7th Jul 2016, 8:56 am   #12
raditechman
Heptode

Just an aside, I met Norman Leevers at his home in Twickenham. I lived in that area at the time.
When he died helped to clear out a lot of his film equipment. If I remember (fuzzy with age!) it was mainly 16mm optical sound recorders for making sound test films.

He had a good HiFi system.

John
Old 7th Jul 2016, 10:52 am   #13
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The BBC used VU meters on tape machines more than PPMs, because the primary purpose of the meter on the machine is to line up the correct rec/rep levels going to and from the control desk. Since this was done with tone, the dynamics of the meter were irrelevant, only its accuracy at line-up level. And of course VUs are cheaper.

Metering on the desk is of course a different matter - and here the PPM was (and still is) universal.
Closed Thread