UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2011, 8:27 pm   #1
Uptown1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Taylor (Windsor) 45B Valve tester info needed.

Greetings to all.
I'm a new member here, a fellow member on another forum suggested that I might want to join in on this forum and post questions about this particular tester here. So here I am.
I have acquired this interesting valve tester and have been unsuccessful in acquiring a manual, schematic and valve data for setting up this tester.
It seems to be working as it should based on the limited information I have but really won't know for sure until I am in possession of these documents. It seems that this Taylor 45B valve tester is quite popular here, based on what I have read in the archives.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Mauro

Last edited by paulsherwin; 27th Aug 2011 at 8:49 pm. Reason: Email address removed to comply with forum rules
Old 27th Aug 2011, 9:19 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Taylor (Windsor) 45B Valve tester info needed.

Hi Mauro
I scanned in the instructions and cct a while ago.
I can email it to you if you send me an Email address via PM

Enjoy
Mike T
Old 28th Aug 2011, 2:18 am   #3
Uptown1
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks!
PM sent.
Old 28th Aug 2011, 11:40 am   #4
Cobaltblue

I decided to upload the Windsor/Taylor 45B instructions to Picasa Web so its available to anyone.

I am not too familiar with Picasa as yet so please forgive me if I it up!

The Handbook fingers crossed should be here
Enjoy
Mike T
Old 29th Aug 2011, 2:32 am   #5
Uptown1
Retired Dormant Member

This is great information and much appreciated!

Still in need of valve set up information.
I noticed there is someone else looking for it on another thread.
Would the settings from the 45C be the same?
I do have those.
Thanks again,
Mauro
Old 29th Aug 2011, 11:27 am   #6
Cobaltblue

Hi Mauro
I would guess that the 45C would be similar but can't say for sure as I dont have access to one. It's a Bank holiday here in UK at the moment so I wont return to Poole where the the Valve data book is until tomorrow. I won't be able to scan all the pages on Tuesday but I could scan pages with a few popular types such as 6V6. It would probably be the weekend before I could scan all the pages. Hope that help.
Enjoy
Mike T
Old 29th Aug 2011, 9:06 pm   #7
igranic
Rest in Peace

Mauro,

The 45C is very similar apart from the number of positions on the ABC switches which select the correct connections for the valve under test. The 45B has 10 positions ( 0 - 9) on each switch, whereas the 45c has 18 positions (0 - 17).

When compared the the 45c, the 45b is limited in the number of distinct valve pin configurations that can be tested. Later versions of the 45c have the capability of testing the vast majority of radio and TV valves, with the possible exception of high powered examples, some very late introductions, and B9D (Magnoval) types.

The 45c manual also has the settings for the 45A and 45b. But settings annotated with the number '12' enclosed within a circle will only work on the 45C.

Early versions of the 45B were later updated by adding some additional wiring to the ABC switches to allow testing of valves that were not included in the early Valve Settings manual. It is worth checking that all the switch positions (with the exception of '0') are populated according to the wiring chart on page 4 of your manual. With the exception of the Screen(g2) connection, this can be done with a (power off) continuity check between the red, green, and black sockets and their respectively connected pins on the B9A socket.

This, in any case, is a worthwhile exercise so as to ensure that all the switch contacts are in working order. 45B's (and 45c's) often had a hard life in service departments, and the contacts frequently seem to have suffered wear or damage. On my own 45C I have have added a yellow socket for the screen(g2) circuit so that it too can be continuity tested through to the valve socket for each switch position. It also serves as a useful voltage monitoring point, but bear in mind that the voltages on the screen and anode circuits are AC, whilst the grid circuit is antiphase half-wave DC.

HTH
Edward
Old 29th Aug 2011, 9:22 pm   #8
Cobaltblue

Hi Edward Thanks for the very detailed description of the differences between the 45B and the 45C. Thats very useful
I know that the switches are populated as per the handbook in my case as I had to some fault finding a few years ago.
The Meter button on mine keeps sticking as its damaged but its only a backup so its on the round2it list!
Have fun
Mike T
Old 30th Aug 2011, 5:59 pm   #9
Cobaltblue

Hi Mauro
The first part of the 45B valve chart has been downloaded to Picasa
You can view and download the images here
To ensure this post has meaning in case my Picasa goes up (not impossible technology hates us all!)there are thumbnails loaded. If you recheck the link later in the week I will add more pages.
I have no idea why its so wonky. I guess its me not the very expensive scanner!
Enjoy
Mike T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windsor 1.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	55748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windsor2.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	55749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windsor3.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	55750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windsor4.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	55751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windsor5.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	55752  

Old 31st Aug 2011, 11:35 am   #10
Cobaltblue

Hi All apologies the link above doesnt contain the Autorisation key .
My fault I am still getting used to Picasa .

This Link does contain the key so Should work!
Enjoy
Mike T
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 2:25 am   #11
Uptown1
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you to all who contributed.
Now, armed with all this information I will evaluate my new (well, recent) tester. I appreciate all the extra info.
Have a great weekend!
Mauro
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 8:54 am   #12
Station X

I have a pdf version of the valve chart, but it's nearly 6M. Anyone wanting a copy, PM me your email address.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Oct 2013, 12:13 pm   #13
greenstar
Octode

Hi, I was the happy winner of a 45B at the last Harpenden auction, and am attempting to use it. As it was sold as working I took a chance and powered it up, and it does seem to be behaving on all tests. Assuming all is ok, I still have some confusion about operation. I have the original valve info book, and have downloaded a 45B instruction book. I am practicing on a batch of pulled EF80's of dubious origin, and trying to be kind.

When checking element shorts the book says 'with a few valves spurious results have been obtained. Such as those having heater centre taps or internal connectiions on pins which would otherwise be blank''. I've tested three or four EF80's, which all show shorts with the 'B' switch on 2 and 5. Otherwise they appear fine, if possibly with low mu. How do I know which valves will give spurious results? Could these damage the tester? I attach a valve connection diagram, which is no help so far as i can see.

Also, the meter shows 'replace' and 'good' zones. What does this relate to? My EF80's have a mutual conductance stated as 5.5, which is within the red! What am I missing?
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF80 radiomuseum.png
Views:	169
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	85090  
Old 20th Oct 2013, 8:32 am   #14
greenstar
Octode

OK, to attempt to answer my own questions, earlier in the manual I should have read that the red and green zones relate only to rectifier and diode testing.
As all of 15 EF80's show the same shorts, it's probably clear these relate to the filament, it must do as nothing is dialled in for the specific valve for this test.
But this isn't made clear in the manual, where as quoted above, 'spurious result's are said to be exceptions.
If filaments come up on the shorts test, one would expect two shorts on each valve type - can anyone confirm that this is the case?
Closed Thread