UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2018, 12:56 am   #41
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Cartridge recomendations

Yes, just the edge of the cartridge, however it makes an awful noise a bit like an electric planer
Old 12th Feb 2018, 12:58 am   #42
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
some links,
https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridg...tractors.shtml

http://www.styli.co.nz/protractor.pdf

theres more but the second one is nice and simple. Print it out on a piece of card and punch the spindle hole CAREFULLY and away you go!

Andy
Thanks for these links Andy. I printed out the 'simple' one as suggested and have posted two pictures - one of each of the two stylus 'locations'.

I think it looks reasonably ok?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outer.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	157233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	157234  
Old 12th Feb 2018, 12:02 pm   #43
D_S_J_R
Heptode

That looks well set, as long as the distance from this 'point' is 60mm from disc centre as SME used to use. if it's 65-66mm as modern arms (including SME use now), I'm sure it doesn't matter but some audio types seem to think there's a sonic difference..

The shell as viewed from the side, should look parallel to the record surface. I appreciate ones eyes play tricks (my eyes are awful and I had to compensate when setting tonearms up and get colleagues to confirm), but the pictures you posted seemed to suggest the headshell from the side wasn't as parallel as the arm tube is and was causing the cartridge to look down at the back, which would give the issues you describe when playing singles (I'd rather you didn't with this cartridge unless they're proper 12" singles )

The whole thing about tonearm/cartridge set up is that you should only need to do this once with an SME and it won't drift off over subsequent years..

Another can of worms, but I'll mention it anyway. Check with Loricraft, but the Garrard 401 may need its main bearing and idler bearings lightly lubricated. I'm not going to dare to suggest what oils to use (I got into trouble here last time!) but Loricraft, who know these decks backwards, should be able to recommend suitable *safe* lubricants. I'd also avoid after-market bearing 'mods' as these are often done by people with no knowledge of WHY the original was conceived the way it is - full replacement bearings complete may be a different matter though but it's unknown territory for me...

Dave
Old 12th Feb 2018, 3:37 pm   #44
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Is that Headshell deformed/damaged? There should be no reason for it to be canted up like that at the front. The top of the headshell should be parallel to the record surface as with the arm.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 9:16 pm   #45
ToneArm
Pentode

Funny, when I used the G1042 it would bottom out from time to time as well. My copy of UB40’s Present Arms had a warped edge and it wouldn’t play the first track (which annoyingly was the excellent One in Ten!).
Glyn
Old 12th Feb 2018, 10:20 pm   #46
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Is that Headshell deformed/damaged? There should be no reason for it to be canted up like that at the front. The top of the headshell should be parallel to the record surface as with the arm.
I think its just the camera angle looking at that front view. The g1042 has a sloping front which can look a bit strange.
I have no knowledge of genuine SME headshells but I am sure it was mentioned earlier that the underneath of the headshell isnt completely flat, or did I get that wrong? If thats the case then it might be an idea to use a couple of shallow spacers between headshell and cartridge base as the G1042 has a very flat square mounting face to the underneath of the headshell. This could "cant" the cartridge at an angle and make it prone to grounding at the rear on the record surface.
Apologies if I misunderstood.

Yes the G1042, like many other modern cartridges rides low on the record surface making it difficult if impossible to ride bad warps. My ortofon is, if anything, worse. I need to adjust my arm to its maximum height on the pillar to get that to sit correctly on the record and even then the gap between cartridge body and record surface is very small. That said if the warp is that bad, the reproduction is going to be badly compromised anyway.

The only way we are going to tell from a picture if the top of the headshell is riding horizontal would be for Matt to take a photo side on with something like a piece of card with horizontal lines drawn on it behind and square to the headshell. With the camera lens at the same height as the headshell and set level to attempt to cancel any parallax errors.

A.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 10:54 pm   #47
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I'm playing an LP and am using a weight which has parallel lines going around it. I've tried to capture a photo from the side of the headshell to see if the headshell looks aligned correctly.

It's not the best picture, but I find it very difficult to take a good one. But it looks reasonably ok to my poor eyes!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20180212_21_46_08_Pro.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	157276  
Old 12th Feb 2018, 11:23 pm   #48
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

A very slight nose-up attitude is not unknown with the single-pin SME headshell when used with a compliant washer - I'd say that's OK. The later double pin shell pulls in dead level.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 11:34 pm   #49
bikerhifinut
Octode

looks ok to me Matt.
A quick check you could do is to simply check the distance from the top of the headshell to record surface and do this at the front and rear of the headshell. Obviously both distances should be the same. It goes without saying that you should have the platter stopped at this time!
The shape of the headshell can play tricks with the eyes due to the slope of the bottom edge. The lined card trick is a nice one, but you need to do that at the start of the LP and have the card or paper close behind the headshell/arm wand. A bit of graph paper does nicely if you have any to hand.
Are you running the 1042 at 1.75g or thereabouts as recommended by Goldring?

Good luck with sourcing a replacement Shure, I saw a few on the usual site at reasonable prices and a couple with "fantasy island" pricing!

Looks like my post got crossed with Ted's. I wouldn't get worried about the cartridge being slightly canted back, as long as it clears the LP's you play.

A.

Last edited by bikerhifinut; 12th Feb 2018 at 11:38 pm. Reason: crossed posts.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 11:39 pm   #50
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
A very slight nose-up attitude is not unknown with the single-pin SME headshell when used with a compliant washer - I'd say that's OK. The later double pin shell pulls in dead level.
That's interesting and useful, thanks Ted.

A.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 1:07 am   #51
RojDW48
Nonode

I hate to disagree but that still looks wrong to me - the headshell is the business end and that should be parallel with the disc surface - even if that means creating a tiny angle in the tonearm - or maybe the cartridge isn't quite right in the headshell?
Old 13th Feb 2018, 12:41 pm   #52
D_S_J_R
Heptode

The headshell is slightly curvy-tapered towards the rear as seen from the top and this'll play tricks with a static picture.

Having started all this, the Rega decks which sounded so good with these 10** models (1012GX in Planar 2 and 1042 in Planar 3) had the 'RB' arms slightly down at the back (a Rega can of worms I won't go into) and in fact many cartridges din't mind this way of use I remember unless they're terminally dull in sound.

Since this arm has the detachable shell, may I suggest the OP buys a Technics-style shell for 45rpm singles and fits something like a Rega Carbon or posher, a Goldring E1 or E2 which appear to be AT based. With some ingenuity, it may be possible to match masses so the 1042 can still track at 1.75g or so and the others suggested above around 2g for singles without re-balancing the arm...

Dave
Old 13th Feb 2018, 7:00 pm   #53
bikerhifinut
Octode

I think Matt is sourcing a replacement M7ED body for his other headshell so that will solve the issue of what to play singles on? He's got or will receive shortly a new set of headshell "pigtail" leads for it so hopefully Matt will be a happy bunny as I got the impression that he likes the Shure in that arm. And who are we to say otherwise?

Matt, if you get stuck for a replacement M75ED body give me a yell and I might be persuaded to part with mine as it isn't really suited to my Rega arms. I promise it will be cheaper than ebay!

Andy.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 9:38 pm   #54
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Andy is quite correct - I have took the plunge and purchased a replacement Shure M75ED cartridge which I look forward to receiving soon. I personally prefer the sound of the Shure, yes the Goldring has more clarity but I prefer the warmer sound of the Shure which I suppose I have gotten used to over many years.

Thanks to Andy I also have a nice new set of headshell leads which I have fitted to my existing Shure cartridge just to make sure the old leads were not a fault. But sadly the problem remained, but these will be a great partner for my new cartridge.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Best wishes,

Matt
Old 13th Feb 2018, 9:55 pm   #55
paulsherwin

The Shure M75 series did have a distinctive sound which many people liked, especially in the US. They became very unfashionable in the late 70s when they started to attract 'damning with faint praise' reviews in the hifi mags. The arrival of CDs made toppier cartridges more popular in the 80s, before everybody lost interest in vinyl for about 20 years.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 10:35 pm   #56
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The Shure M75 series did have a distinctive sound which many people liked, especially in the US. They became very unfashionable in the late 70s when they started to attract 'damning with faint praise' reviews in the hifi mags. The arrival of CDs made toppier cartridges more popular in the 80s, before everybody lost interest in vinyl for about 20 years.
Around the time that low mass arms went out of fashion Paul? I always liked the M75ED in our Pioneer PL12D and it still performs nicely in dad's stereo.
It doesn't sound over warm in my setup though.

For the record I never lost interest in vinyl, guess I was a diehard with a few LPs.

A
Old 13th Feb 2018, 10:47 pm   #57
paulsherwin

Only the mainstream hifi market lost interest in vinyl. There were always enthusiasts, but they were a very small market - that's why most 90s integrated hifi amps don't have a mag cartridge input.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 11:27 pm   #58
PJL
Dekatron

I have attached an image of a 1042 sitting correctly on a record. To me it looks like the headshell is not parallel to the record surface but it could be a damaged stylus?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1042.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	157325  
Old 14th Feb 2018, 9:03 am   #59
lazythread
Pentode

I returned to the Shure M75 after a couple of decades with more modern moving magnet and moving coil cartridges. A worthwhile, but expensive, upgrade is the Jico SAS profiled stylus which really is a game-changer and brings the cartridge bang up to date in my opinion.

In the picture you can see how tiny the Jico cantilever is in comparison to the genuine Shure N75EJ next to it and the Shure N75ED on the right. I have to stress that this is just my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shure N75-SAS-EJ-ED - Copy.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	157341  
Old 14th Feb 2018, 6:08 pm   #60
bikerhifinut
Octode

The standard Jico elliptical replacement has a very fine cantilever too. It looks a finer piece of kit than the OE. And certainly the M75ED sounds very smooth and more refined with the standard JICO.
Not sure about spending the huge amount of extra dosh on the SAS stylus for an M75 though.
A V15 though would be a different animal. In the right arm.

A.
Closed Thread