UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2016, 5:48 pm   #41
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: A way of acknowledging a good post - a 'like' button

No real need, IMHO, it works well enough as a Forum! And anything praiseworthy can always have a brief 'congratulations!' posted up.
Old 19th Nov 2016, 8:34 pm   #42
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: A way of acknowledging a good post - a 'like' button

The overall consensus seems to be to keep things as they are. Thanks everyone for your input.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 30th Dec 2017, 4:18 pm   #43
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default A useful 'like' button would enhance the forum

This issue has been discussed before, and the outcome was possibly skewed due the want or need of a full explanation. I’m talking about the ability to ‘like’ a post. Members have said previously that it would stop people posting, in that instead of doing so they would simply click a like button. I don’t believe that would happen for one moment. If someone has something to say, then they are going to say it, a like button does not replace someone's specific thoughts! But clearly, the addition of a like button for use on those very real occasions when you simply want to say “I like that”, gives you the opportunity to do so, especially when you don’t have anything extra to add over and above what they have already said. If you don’t want to ‘like’, then simply don’t click the like button, it’s existence hurts no-one. Otherwise, if I like a post but I don’t have anything to add, should I (and everyone else who feels the same) place a post saying something like, “I agree, well said”, "I agree as well” etc etc. Now I ask you, what use or interest value is it to read a succession of posts that simply say “I agree”?! Especially when a counter will show the number of likes the post has received; much clearer, much easier, much less annoying. Otherwise, if you do have anything to add, then simply say it, post it as we do now. On that basis, I fail to see how the addition of a like button takes anything away from the forum, and it brings in an extra, interesting dimension. Me personally, I love to write (it’s my job) so I am not for one moment trying to dumb down posting - it's the last thing that I or anyone else would want. Even those who – for reasons that I fail to understand given what I say above – may not want a like button, they don’t have to use it, just ignore it. Other ‘serious’ forums have like buttons and they have a proven, interesting and useful function. Why not introduce it on say the general vintage technology page and see how it fares? I very much doubt that it will reduce posting, and people will be able to see at a glance if the contents of a post is simply, ‘liked’. Yeah?
Old 30th Dec 2017, 4:30 pm   #44
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: A useful 'like' button would enhance the forum

I think a naff off button would be better.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread