UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2021, 10:16 am   #1
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Never assume....

For years I have tended to think that most people will know things that are second nature to me. The older I get, the more I realise that this is not so.
I recently had to assist a young online Buyer of a Dansette fitted with a groove-grinding Acos GP59 mono cartridge. It was sold as being "truly original" - and indeed it was! He was having problems with tracking and surface damage to his expensive 180 gram re-issues. I think you can tell where this is headed....
I was trying to explain the issues arising using key words like "Stereo", "Mono", "LP", "Microgroove" and he kept on nodding, but still staring blankly at me.
It was only when I use the word "Vinyl" he knew I was actually talking about his Gramaphone Records!
It came as quite a cultural shock for me. I now just feel that little bit older and sadder.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 10:35 am   #2
Ekcoman
Heptode

Default Re: Never assume....

Absolutely agree Edward. A few years ago I sold an old Dansette Tempo to a film studio making a tv series called "The Rebel". I got a phone call whilst they were filming asking how to operate the auto drop for a 12" LP. Yep, we assume....
Old 28th Feb 2021, 11:59 am   #3
Michael Maurice

I've had phone calls from people who after having their record player/radiograms serviced couldn't understand why when a record was on the turntable and they switched to auto, the deck would switch off.

They apologised when I told them the auto only worked when there was a record on the stacker shelf ready to be dropped!

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 28th Feb 2021, 12:40 pm   #4
wd40addict
Octode

CD is now almost 40 years old. So the everyday use of 'vinyl' and the folk memories that accompanied it are fast fading. Autochangers were already on their way out in the 70s. The smartphone generation have never seen a stack of records on an autochanger, nor have any clue why a 78 is different to an LP etc etc, to them it's all new and they have to learn.

The reverse situation occurred when I bought my first smartphone and the youngster behind the counter couldn't understand why I wasn't already fully conversant with Android!
Old 28th Feb 2021, 2:35 pm   #5

Everybody and every institution and every shop, and every online market assumes you do have a smart 'phone. I now have (thanks Paul Sherwin) a dumb 'phone for the singular use of two factor authorization, I haven't turned it on for a month.

Old 28th Feb 2021, 4:43 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

My wife was unable to buy a new autochanger when her record player died in 1980.

My wife still uses an unsmart phone, and our banks, building societies, and credit card providers have supplied us with card readers for 2 part authentication. Our mobile phone signal indoors is too unreliable for timely text reception.
Closed Thread