UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Old 25th Apr 2024, 11:19 am   #1
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default WS19/22/62 etc paint colour of case.

Having finally plucked up the courage to visit one of my stores, after 10 years,
I now need to start renovating some of the case parts for the above equipment.

About 40 years ago I did have some of the correct paint for the cases of these various military transceivers etc. That has gone missing, & I am not sure what the correct colour should be, or indeed where I can obtain some from. Anchor Surplus used to do it, but not any more.

All the above sets are a matt finish, although I do also have some later 31 sets, but these are a different green, and are gloss finish.

Any help/advice would be most welcome.

David.
Vintage Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2024, 12:12 pm   #2
2000 type
Tetrode

Default Re: WS19/22/62 etc paint colour of case.

The original wartime paint finish was probably Paint, War Equipment, SCC15 Olive Drab, matt. However, the dificulties of war production availability, wide tolerances, local availability, even local mixing, meant that there was much variation. Plus, the colour sprayed on then will inevitably look different now.

After the war, new radio equipment was painted in BS381c colour 298 Olive Drab, Gloss finish (quite similar colour to the wartime SCC15 but gloss to provide a more weather-durable finish and to try to instill some "shiny pride" after the war) and any decent paint supplier will be able to provide this.
Note that there are many versions of "Olive Drab" depending on who wrote the standard - US Army OD is quite different to British Standard OD for example.

To confuse further, post-war radio associated hardware such as mounting trays, brackets, parts for mounting in vehicles (usually given ZB part numbers rather than ZA) were considered to be vehicle parts so were painted in the standard post-war vehicle colour of BS381c colour 224 Deep Bronze Green, Gloss finish.
Post-war overhauled WS19s were often outshopped with the cabinets sprayed Deep Bronze Green gloss.
2000 type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2024, 6:16 pm   #3
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Thanks for that most helpful information, much appreciated.
I did realise that there were variants in the colour, but didn't know why.

I should never have left so much of this kit in store, when I put in in some 22 years ago, every item was either 'new 1943/44' i.e. NOS just taken out of an original crate, or if not already restored by me. At that time, every item was working, it probably doesn't now!

Now I have to start again! Fortunately most of the front panels in grey are more or less original.
Most of the items I have were matt drab olive, & as you say the later ones a gloss finish.
I think I will take a 19 set power unit down to our local paint shop & see what they can do for a colour match.!

David.
Old 25th Apr 2024, 6:24 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Engr View Post
I think I will take a 19 set power unit down to our local paint shop & see what they can do for a colour match.!

David.
Colours fade. "Matching" to something that's had 70+ years of fading and degradation could easily result in you getting paint that's nowhere near the original colour!

[I am happy to strip and repaint military-vintage radio cases with the nearest seeming-match from Halfords type rattle-cans, on the principle that the people you then go on to talk to when the radio is put back into service won't see - or care - what colour it is]
Old 25th Apr 2024, 6:42 pm   #5
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Thanks,

In that case I will take one of the 38AFV set parts, they are fortunately still in the original lightproof 1944 packing & should not have faded!

I should really have not opened the original wooden crate, some 50 years ago! There are still vestiges of original tarred paper on the outside of the cardboard carton.. I've just checked the moisture content of the carton, at 11per cent.

I will pluck up courage to open it again soon!
David.
Old 26th Apr 2024, 9:02 am   #6
ex seismic
Heptode

To confuse you further I am looking at my Canadian WS19 power supply which is a sort of crinkle finish in brown. I also have a WS18 also in brown.
ex seismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2024, 11:26 am   #7
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Thanks,
At the moment most of my outer cases are a flecked rust colour, so anything will be better than that! My Canadian 52 set, still in the store is also a sort of crinkle brown.

I'm hoping to re-open the packing on the 38AFV this weekend, so I am counting on a correct colour, as it was when I last opened it around 50 years ago! Hopefully the damps will not have penetrated the outer packing.
Old 3rd May 2024, 5:14 pm   #8
Vintage Engr
Heptode

I'm now the proud possessor of a 1 litre can of paint, in what appears to be the correct colour.
I just need some decent weather now, as the job of to removing the rust & grime will have to be done outdoors.
Old 9th May 2024, 9:14 pm   #9
Vintage Engr
Heptode

The above paint was applied today on top of a filler/primer, with excellent results a good colour match to the original, and a matt finish with a very slight surface sheen.

The TXCVR case & also the power supply case probably looks too 'new' now, but I'm sure They will incurr afew scuffs when I display them at a couple of the local D-Day anniversary events!
Now I need to match the front panel colour, currently I'm working on the WS22.
The grey front panel appears to be slightly different from that on the WS19, although it is possible that the 19 set has had varnish on the front panel which has yellowed slightly over time.
As I only need to touch in small scratched areas, I'm hoping that one of the model paint colours will provide a near match.

I am eventually hoping to get the 22 set into operational condition again. It did partially work when I obtained it, exactly 50 years ago... It was in a sealed wooden crate, with accessories. However, to my utter dismay, when I originally removed the tranceiver case, I found the cause of the low signal/sensitvity....

So I will leave this thread & start another on the restoration, (as this thread was about paint, & I don't want to deviate!) when I have time, on what I discovered all those years ago.

Thanks again to all tose who made suggestions regarding paint colour etc.

David.