UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2020, 8:30 pm   #1
Bookman
Hexode

Default Embracing modern technology

Sadly or otherwise I am one of those who refuses to live their life crouched behind a computer screen. Indeed I could spill the beans and admit to never having sent a text in my life.
However I am Yorkshire born and remain a true Tyke and as such financial prudence will always creep its way into most if not every decision that prevails on a daily basis.
One such decision in particular was wondering how to take close ups of the numerous styli I possess without forking out the huge sums of money they attract by way of the use of macro lenses. Not discounting of course the methodology employed to hide the purchase from prying eyes!!!
I then stumbled across these miniature hand held microscopes and within a short time the old grey cells began to re-emerge as the attached images will show.
I had an old Collaro RC500 that had seen better days which acted as my new work table. All it needed was a coat of paint and a new plinth, sides and feet and bob's your uncle.
The turntable hard ware was kept as they act as handy jigs. The cartridge image is a rather nice sounding AT14Sa.
A word of warning if anyone is thinking of a similar purchase. Be wary of the low cost items where a hyperlink is provided to down load the software. I had to return my original purchase as my PC would not access the appropriate web site as it deemed it unsafe.
Have fun and keep safe
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1615.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	204432   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1617.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	204433   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1616.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	204434   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1618.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	204435  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 9:00 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Embracing modern technology

Clever! And using XP too

Could you provide a link to the microscope you're using please?
Old 30th Apr 2020, 9:16 pm   #3
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
my PC would not access the appropriate web site as it deemed it unsafe.
Browsers have an annoying habit of telling you websites are unsafe. However at least with Firefox you can tell it that you are the boss and make it access the site despite all the dire warnings it gives you. If you use Linux then there are standard system utilities you can use with USB microscopes and you don't need to download anything. I have a couple of cheap Chinese USB microscopes and they work fine with "cheese".

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 1st May 2020, 1:54 am   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

I bought a digital microscope that has an internal battery and a micro SD card slot.
It is a desktop unit with a built in screen.
It can take still images or videos of live microbes in pond water.
It can be used to read/write SD cards from a USB port.
It was a snip at under £55.
There is a cheaper version with a rubber cup stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5851.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	204458  
Old 1st May 2020, 9:11 am   #5
Bookman
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Clever! And using XP too

Could you provide a link to the microscope you're using please?
Its a Dino-Lite unit. They are not the cheapest but deliver within 24 hours. Note also that if buying with the stand please bear in mind its a basic stand and not the upmarket unit that is sold as a separate item. However, in my case basic is best.
Closed Thread