UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2023, 11:27 am   #101
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco ACT96 restoration

I'm currently working on a Bakelite Pilot Major Maestro, which was given to me as a birthday present by my brother, bought from an antiques centre kind of place.

It was gleaming on the outside, but rusty as anything inside.

My thoughts were that it was probably a shed find, and that the stallholder had painstakingly cleaned and polished the case, selling it merely as a decorative piece. If it had been the version with a wooden cabinet, I suspect it would have been just a pile of delaminated plywood.

It's amazing how quickly some chassis etc. will rust if left undercover but in an unheated space. I left a couple of NOS transformers in our wooden car port for a few weeks in the autumn, and they went from as-new to rather rusty. Not surprising really, as the car regularly had condensation on it.
Old 28th Jun 2023, 11:49 am   #102
stevehertz
Dekatron

For BVWS members and those interested, I'm in the process of drafting a write up of this restoration for the BVWS bulletin. I've been in touch with editor Alex regarding word count etc, and all being well I should have it with him in the not too distant future.
Old 29th Jun 2023, 9:54 am   #103
McMurdo
Dekatron

hugely impressive!
Old 2nd Sep 2023, 9:18 am   #104
stevehertz
Dekatron

My article covering the restoration of the set has been accepted for publication by bulletin editor Alex of the BVWS. Obviously scheduling has to be done, so I am unable to advise at this point in which issue it will appear, though as I understand it, in one of the next three issues. Thanks for everyone's contributions, suggestions and encouragement.