UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2021, 8:23 pm   #1
AndrewMcIntyre
Triode

Default Garrard RC72A

I was given (forced to take ) a Garrard RC72a turntable after buying some antique clocks recently. It was in a bad state. I've stripped down and cleaned and lubed the AC motor. I've replaced the motor mount grommets that had turned into a sticky goo. I've taken apart the auto return and drop mechanism. The deck it running pretty well. Except for two flat rubber belts that have are mounted to the ac motor and are linked to two intermediatory spindles that when in contact, adjust the turntable speeds. I've tried locally but can't find anything suitable. Any suggestions as to what this type of belt is actually called, or what I could try substitute them with? I've managed to find a working new old stock turn over cartridge from a local audio shop - so I'm really happy with that.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 9:04 pm   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Garrard RC72A

hi,
I have a radiogram fitted with a Garrard RC80M. This has a similar speed change mechanism using two small bands for 33 & 45. Of course, without the belts, 78 rpm works fine.
The only thing I found that worked was a slice from a racing bicycle inner tube. I found one of about 1" in diameter, and cut a half inch 'slice' to form a small belt.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 10:16 pm   #3
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Garrard RC72A

This Garrard early 1950s belt arrangement has always struck me as a remarkably ‘Heath Robinson’ affair, probably thought up by a designer in panic mode as the advent of the LP and the new-fangled 45 threatened their business. I agree that slices of a small cycle inner tube work well. If you can’t find a suitable inner tube, then, rather surprisingly, slices from the fingers of Marigold rubber gloves do work. I’m not sure just how long they last though.

Martin
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 12:02 am   #4
Michael Maurice

I get my belts from here

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 29th Jan 2021, 2:04 pm   #5
AndrewMcIntyre
Triode

Thanks everyone. I've managed to source two replacements.
Closed Thread