UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2021, 3:24 pm   #1
mole42uk
Nonode

Default MCX to TNC cable type?

I have a Jupiter GPS receiver that I am using to build into a 10MHz GPSDO.

The receiver is supplied with a passive 1.5GHz L1 antenna and a short (150mm) cable to join between the antenna and the receiver. I wish to mount the antenna outside my shack/shed/workshop (please highlight your preferred name). The antenna has a female TNC connector, the receiver has a female MCX connector.

I think that my attempts to make a weatherproof enclosure for the receiver would be less successful than making a longer cable but I'm a little daunted by the thought of terminating the tiny co-ax to the MCX so does anyone have a clever idea? I'm considering a 50Ω extension with a TNC on each end....

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 16th Jan 2021, 3:35 pm   #2

Default Re: MCX to TNC cable type?

A quick search found loads such as https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/p...v=79cba1185463

Quote:
I think that my attempts to make a weatherproof enclosure for the receiver would be less successful than making a longer cable
Not so bad to do, just leave a hole at the bottom to let it breath (big enough for any drips to fall out of 1/4" will do) or even a large hole for the cable, if powered all the time the energy used will keep the inside dry enough not to condense any water which is what you want.

Weather proofing and water proofing are two very different things. Take a house, nice and dry inside and it has loads of holes in it.

Old 16th Jan 2021, 3:38 pm   #3

Second thought, my GPSes work well indoors (Garmin walking types) and very well next to a window. And getting a frequency "fix" is a lot less difficult than a position fix.

Old 17th Jan 2021, 11:16 am   #4
Stockden
Heptode

I'd use a TNC male to female lead to extend the existing cable to the length you need. That was my solution to exactly the same problem when building a Jupiter module based GPSDO.

It has the advantages that all the delicate bits can be kept within the GPSDO enclosure and you can use the co-ax of your choice for the run to the antenna. It's worked well for me for the last 10 years or so.

Hugh
Closed Thread