UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2021, 5:58 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Telequipment gone pop!

Hi,
I dug out my dusty Telequipment D1016 'scope to test a signal generator. All was well for about ten minutes when the trace disappeared and something within started hissing with its accompanying release of magic smoke and acrid smell.
I traced it to an elec. cap on the PCB right at the back. Said PCB is on very short leads, and a to access.
I eventually fished out a very sorry looking 22uF 250volt cap that was on the verge of bursting. The rectifier diodes tested OK, so I'm wondering if the cap was dying of old age, or something was stressing it all of a sudden. Alas, I failed to check the voltage across it when it was smoking.
Any advice welcome. I'm tempted to replace it and try again, Or should I?
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scope 3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	225148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scope 2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	225149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scope 1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	225150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scope 5.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	225151  
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 6:50 pm   #2
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Default Re: Telequipment gone pop!

I would be tempted to change the capacitor and just give it a try it most likely just failed of its own account. Those two resistor pretty much glow red normally when those scopes are in use anyway and always smell like they are about to go on fire. I often use one of the power monitoring plugs they are a good indicator when running up suspect equipment. I think that model was my first ever scope. I bought second hand but it cost me an awful lot of pocket money.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 6:33 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Telequipment gone pop!

Hi,
Thanks for you reply. I did exactly that and fitted a 22 uF 400 volt cap and, so far so good!
So, just an old age cap that had had enough.
Cheers, Pete.