UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2020, 2:54 pm   #1
Sleepysilas
Diode

Default Dansette Popular lost sound

Hi
I am new to forum and to repairing vintage record players. However yesterday my Dansette Popular lost it sound in mid play. I have checked the cartage in another record play and it seems is fine, I have also looked inside and both values appear it be lit up so I am amusing they are working. So I need help to find the problem and repair it. There is no serial number that I can find so have included a photo. As I said I a new to repairing things like this so will need simple to understand answers.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200504_144206.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	204874  
Old 4th May 2020, 3:15 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Popular lost sound

Cartridge tested good and valves both glowing, but no sound suggests that there is a failure in the HT supply voltage within the player. possibly even the output transformer primary.

You'll need a test meter (DVM).

This player is likely to be a LIVE CHASSIS design, meaning that one side of the mains is connected directly to the internal metalwork, so great care is needed when working on it.

A test can be made by applying a INSULATED screwdriver to the cartridge connectors under the pickup head with the volume turned right up to see if there's a loud 'buzz' confirming the amplifier is working and the fault is down to a disconnection at the cartridge. No 'buzz' could be due to the amplifier or the wiring from the pickup to it. Don't touch the connectors with your fingers as there's sometimes no isolation to the pickup head on these old players and you may get a nasty electric shock!

If you feel up to doing it safely you will need to measure the HT voltage at both sections of the smoothing capacitor using the 600 volt DC range of a test meter. If you feel confident about doing this then members can advise further.
Old 4th May 2020, 3:37 pm   #3
Techman
Dekatron

Just as an addition to the above, it would also be worth checking the actual loud speaker for continuity. This can be done with the player completely disconnected from the mains and the probes of a meter set on the lowest resistance range placed across the speaker terminals where a 'crackle' should be heard as the probes are applied. The resistance reading will read both the transformer secondary winding as well as the speaker voice coil, so if no 'crackle' is heard, then the speaker will need disconnecting and a reading taken with the meter of the speaker only. You could use a small battery as a test across the speaker for 'crackle' if you don't have a meter, but unplug from the mains FIRST!
Old 6th May 2020, 3:42 pm   #4
Sleepysilas
Diode

Hi
Thanks for your help, unfortunately I do not have a DVM test meter at this point but did check the cartridge connectors and there was a loud buzz, touching the needle with my finger also produce a slight nose which was not present before. Not sure if this helps but something that was there before when the volume was turned up but not there now was a buzz?
Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 5:48 pm   #5
Sleepysilas
Diode

Hi
I have got a DVM test meter but will need some guides with regards using it on my Dansette as still have no sound. Hope someone can please help?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200519_172203~2[1].jpg
Views:	119
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	206238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200519_172233~2[1].jpg
Views:	92
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	206239  
Old 19th May 2020, 9:39 pm   #6
Station X

Was there an instruction leaflet with the meter?

To do the speaker test, as suggested in post #3, you'll need to set your meter to the 200 ohm resistance range which is roughly at the 7 'o' clock position. There may be a lower resistance or continuity range, but the picture is too out of focus to tell.

Look at the display and you'll see how your meter displays an open circuit or infinite resistance. Remember that for future reference and don't refer to "No Reading" which can be meaningless.

Then touch the probes together and again note what the display shows. That's how you meter displays a short circuit or very low resistance.

Finally place your probes on the speaker terminal either way round. Note the reading and listen for a click or rustle as the probes make and break contact.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th May 2020, 12:42 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepysilas View Post
Hi
Thanks for your help, unfortunately I do not have a DVM test meter at this point but did check the cartridge connectors and there was a loud buzz,
That suggests the amp and speaker work.

You said before you'd tried the cartridge in another player. So this does not leave much else apart from the wires in the arm, from the cartridge to amp. See if one has come loose.
Old 20th May 2020, 9:34 am   #8
Ekcoman
Heptode

Could possibly be the connectors to the cart. Maybe a fault such as corrosion or the coloured wire insulation concealing a broken wire at the solder point.
Old 22nd May 2020, 5:50 pm   #9
Sleepysilas
Diode

Thanks for the help guys. I set the DVM to 200 as advised and it showed 1 on the display, when I connected it to the speaker it when down to 0 and there was no crackle noise. I have not disconnected the speaker yet and checked it on its own but will do this soon.

Thanks.
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:07 am   #10
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepysilas View Post
I set the DVM to 200 as advised
200 what? You MUST state what range, ohms/volts, otherwise what you state is meaningless. Remember, ohms with the power off, ie, unplugged from the mains!

You may not actually get any crackle from the speaker on an ohms range of a DVM, so you may have to use the diode test position to get some crackle.

You haven't answered ben's question regarding the loud buzz you got. None of what you say so far is making any sense - help us to help you
Closed Thread