UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Old 13th Feb 2019, 8:14 pm   #41
DonaldStott
Hexode

Default Re: Turntable Stroboscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
If you search for 4060 in Google and select shopping there are loads. As you are running at 4.5V even the HC and HCT series will do.
Are all the prefixes and suffixes just designed to confuse someone like me??

I think this looks o.k. to me: -

https://uk.farnell.com/texas-instrum...07?st=CD4060BE
Old 13th Feb 2019, 8:25 pm   #42
David G4EBT
Dekatron

That would be fine.

The first two letters are of no significance - they just denote the maker.

For example, CD is RCA, MC is Motorola, SN is Texas Instruments.

Note however that while those from Farnell are cheap, they're US stock so you get caught with 15.95 delivery charge.
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2019, 10:48 am   #43
DonaldStott
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Note however that while those from Farnell are cheap, they're US stock so you get caught with 15.95 delivery charge.
Noted David, thanks.

Managed to find some on eBay from a UK supplier.
Old 20th Feb 2019, 11:36 am   #44
DonaldStott
Hexode

I've replaced the 4060 along with the 4.9152 MHz crystal just in case that was fried as well.

Rewired my Breadboard circuit with shorter leads and paying much more attention to detail (thanks Trigon) - everything oscillating nicely but not quite the stability I need.

Still some fluctuation (+ - 10-20 Hz) which I assume could be being caused by some back voltage?

Would some judiciously placed diodes help in this instance?

I'm just doing this for my own education and interest (or stubbornness!) as I've also acquired the QX14T50B4.915200B50TT to try out as recommended by Radio Wrangler.
Old Yesterday, 2:21 am   #45
Top Cap
Octode

I had a go at making a strobe but in a senior moment designed it to give 50 or 60Hz square wave to drive a high brightness LED. When it did not work against a standard stroboscope disc the light came on in my head and I converted it to 100 or 120 Hz operation.
It was easy to do by re-selecting the LOAD inputs of the CD40103.
So the 4060 produces 2400Hz from the 2.4576MHz xtal, trimmed to give correct frequency. It runs from its own regulated 5V supply, the rest of the circuit uses the full 9V. Though it works fine, I failed to realise, as suggested in earlier post, that a shorter pulse would improve viewing on a strobe disc. That would probably make the CD4013 unnecessary and the 40103 could then be made to provide the 100/120Hz by making it divide by 24, (actual required load word 00010111 (23) and divide by 20, (actual required load word 00010011 (19) so only load bit J2 needs switching. Not tried that as the present illumination is OK for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50_60 Hz strobe.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	178899