UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2018, 7:08 pm   #1
yapster
Triode

Default ERC compat X2 cartridge.

I have a Bush SRP31C with the Garrard 210 deck. It was fitted with the ERC compat x2 cartridge which of course is mono. I inadvertently damaged the stylus while attempting to clean it, so have replaced it with a cheap Chinese ceramic cartidge and stylus, which doesn't sound anywhere near as good.

My question is, does anyone know if the Compat stands for stereo compatible, as if so I would gladly invest in a new stylus, but I don't want to damage any of my stereo records.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 8:33 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: ERC compat X2 cartridge.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I have searched the various suppliers of styli listed in the "stickies" at the start of this section, and can only find two ERC styli listed, but neither give any cartridge numbers. It certainly sounds as though "compat" means compatible, but without being sure........

Any chance you could post a picture of the cartridge?

Last edited by Audio1950; 10th Feb 2018 at 8:41 pm.
Old 11th Feb 2018, 12:49 pm   #3
yapster
Triode

I've now seen this cartridge listed as a Goldring cartridge but with little info listed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	needle.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	157171  
Old 11th Feb 2018, 1:59 pm   #4
lazythread
Pentode

I have a Compat C cartridge, the box and information sheet say "Stereo Compatible Mono Cartridges" and contain the following data:

"Compat X - Medium Output Crystal Cartridge, output 225mv, VTF 3-5g, load 1MΩ 100pF
Compat X2 - High Output Crystal Cartridge, output 525mv, VTF 6-9g, load 1MΩ 100pF
Compat C - Medium Output Ceramic Cartridge, output 170mv, VTF 5-6g, load 1MΩ 100pF

Electronic Reproducers (Components) Ltd. Hedley Road, St. Albans, Herts."

These cartridges were also boxed and sold by Goldring.
Old 11th Feb 2018, 5:10 pm   #5
yapster
Triode

Many Thanks. I can now get a new stylus safe in the knowledge I'm not killing any worthwhile vinyl.
Old 11th Feb 2018, 6:35 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This looks like a flip-under, stereo-compatible type, but in all of these (very many) years I've never heard of ERC before. I'm not sure if a replacement stylus might even be available, but an alternative ceramic cartridge is an option.
Old 11th Feb 2018, 6:50 pm   #7
Audio1950
Dekatron

So one of these will be the stylus for it?

https://www.musonic.co.uk/index.php?...ex&cPath=1_182
Old 12th Feb 2018, 10:24 am   #8
lazythread
Pentode

Yes, scroll down and there's a Compat X listed.

Edward - ERC were around for quite a while. Their cartridges were fitted to Rigonda systems among others. They're pretty respectable cartridges and there are quite a few NOS ones knocking around, so are worth investigating if you don't want to pay BSR SC12 prices. Replacement styli are readily available.

Regards
Old 12th Feb 2018, 11:13 am   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well thanks for this. After 60 odd years or so (some very odd) I just don't know how I ever missed these. One learns so much from other Members.
Old 17th Feb 2018, 11:25 pm   #10
yapster
Triode

Just as a postscript to this thread.. As I'd damaged the stylus, I replaced the cartridge in the headshell with a cheapo chinese cartridge. The sound was so-so but I decided I'd purchased a new stylus for the cartridge from Musonic. While waiting for it to arrive, I decided to treat the little rubber "ears" to a bit of rubber restorer. Leaving the cartridge to one side, I went to pick it up the next morning and it literally crumbled in my hand and completely broke apart! I have now purchased an NOS cartridge complete in the box (marked £1) complete with stylus guard and headshell screws. If you have a Bush/Garrard combo that likes a high output cartridge I can really recommend this cartridge as a definite keeper if you can find one.
Closed Thread