UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2018, 5:45 am   #1
Don Henschel
Triode

Default Hello from Saskatchewan, Canada

Just thought I would say hello and thanks to everybody for having this great Forum

My father was a ham radio operator and as a result I learned how to work on tube aka valve radios before my teens and as a result I have had vintage electronic equipment for about 40 years.

My adventure or should I say my "senior moment" started when I decided to purchase a VE301Wn Volksempfanger after having a number of 30's to 50's Canadian sets and decided to look on the other side of the pond. One thing led to another and I decided let's get another People's Set after I discovered these while poking around on eBay.uk. One thing led to another and a Philco 444 just arrived last week!

Things to get used to:
Using Google translator
Referring to "tubes" as "valves"
Old 1st Feb 2018, 11:35 am   #2
vinrads
Octode

Default Re: Hello from Saskatchewan, Canada

Hi Don I am sure that you will be made very welcome to the forum , The Philco is a good choice they are easy to work on and clean up very well , all the info you will need is here , Regards Mick.
Old 1st Feb 2018, 8:14 pm   #3
Nymrod121
Octode

Hi Don - welcome to the Forum.
I recall spending a very enjoyable week (Spring 1980) with relatives in Moose Jaw. I introduced myself to the local radio station ('CHAB') and was given a guided tour of their studio and transmitter sites. Another interesting day was at the railyard; Norman (relative) was retired CP Rail and knew the yard manager; the highlight of the visit was taking the controls of one of the big consist-hauling locomotives for a 500-yard each-way trip up & back a closed-end siding. The engineer was a steam buff and recognised an English heavy-engineering enthusiast straight away
You'll have a great time on here, I guarantee it.
Best wishes
Guy
Old 2nd Feb 2018, 8:13 am   #4
Don Henschel
Triode

Thanks Mick and Guy for the welcome and hopefully everything will workout fine.

So far I have discovered that both the Braun VE301Wn and Philco 444 appear to be pretty much untouched which is great. The capacitors in the Philco look quite crusty and old but from what I read submerging them in hot paraffin dissolves the old dried out and soiled wax making the cleanup process easy resulting in new looking paper capacitors prior to restuffing.

The style or appearance of the wiring under the chassis of the Philco is somewhat amusing how primitive it looks but appears still to be soft and flexible. I will look for modern reproduction cotton covered wire as I'm really not a fan of vinyl in 80+ year sets.
Closed Thread