UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2018, 5:15 pm   #1
Scubawaz69
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush TV22A. Value?

Hi all.

Can anyone tell me what the old 50's Bush TV22A's are selling for? Also I have a small amount of knowledge with working with CRT's due to having a arcade machine. My dad gave me this and I fancy getting it working. Are there many parts available to make this a worthwhile quest? I say this but I haven't tried to fire it up yet.

Many thanks, Warren.
Old 4th Jan 2018, 5:38 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Bush TV22A. Value?

TV22's are not as rare as often described however they are nice lookers and not too big.

Value to a large extent depends upon completeness and condition.

Complete good condition sets seem to sell on Ebay from around £100 to £200 but you find them being advetised for considerably more.

Just checked completed listings and a couple sold for £300 but most sold for my original estimate

Well worth restoring but don't just plug it in' do some basic checks first.

Be aware this set has a live chassis design, as the plug/socket is not polarised' chassis could be live or neutral.

Take care of your safety

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 4th Jan 2018 at 5:42 pm. Reason: Added more up to date information
Old 4th Jan 2018, 5:54 pm   #3
Freya
Octode

Most definitely not rare, in fact they are the most common set turning up on ebay IMHO
Old 4th Jan 2018, 6:03 pm   #4
DangerMan
Heptode

TV22A is the best performing version of all the variants, and will give a nice bright picture when done.
It doesn't have the frame blocking oscillator transformer that can fail on earlier TV22 models, so no worries with that.

Well worth doing, expect to replace the wax capacitors but little else.

Note the warning about the potentially "live" chassis above, a neon screwdriver or a "Volt stick" gives a quick check for this.

Good luck!

Pete
Old 4th Jan 2018, 6:29 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

Don't forget that you will need a standards converter to be able to watch anything on it.
They are not too hard to restore, although not recommended for a beginner!
They do suffer with LOPT problems and the blocking TX going o/c, but both can be rewound.

Mark
Old 5th Jan 2018, 1:09 am   #6
DangerMan
Heptode

TV22A problems with lopt’s or line blocking transformers are but a tiny fraction of lopt or frame blocking transformer problems in TV22’s!
They don’t have the troublesome frame blocking transformer or a pitch covered lopt, and there is no iron core in the lopt to go rusty.
In my experience, anyway, they are the best variant to have.
Closed Thread