UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2021, 11:36 am   #1
menniej2
Diode

Default NAD3020 Series 20, 'A' and 'B' - Phono Socket Replacement Module & Install Kit

This is my first post on this forum, so hope it's relevant.

I've made a prototype of a solder-in RCA phono socket replacement module for the NAD3020 series vintage amplifiers (Series 20, ‘A’ and ‘B’ variant. module Note: this is NOT a plug-in module.

The NAD 3020 was and still is one of the best audio amplifiers ever made. A very common complaint with them however is the the mechanical build, particularly the rear panel phono sockets which are both poor quality and badly designed. A common problem is that over time, owners connect and reconnect the phono leads which puts mechanical strain on the sockets which in turn stresses the solder joints and copper tracks on the underside of the printed circuit board. A typical fault symptom when this happens is that the amp begins to hum, buzz and crackle in one or both channels. Extreme cases can result in expensive permanent damage to speaker coils.

This module has been designed to address the above problems, and features;-

Copper plate chassis which dissipates mechanical stress away from the PCB connectors and minimises cross-talk between channels.

High quality gold-plated phono sockets which accept wide variety of phono plugs

Angled connector plate allows large form RCA phono plugs - such as Van Damme - to mate with sockets with less stressing due to cable bends (as NAD top covers protrude over Right channel sockets)

Photos are for illustration only, and the final (production) version will have phono sockets with red and white inserts (Right and Left channels).

I'm considering providing a kit to include uncommon tools such as PCB drill bits and a small round file.

Would welcome comments from anyone with 3020's whether this would be of interest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mod1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	233915   Click image for larger version

Name:	mod2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	233916   Click image for larger version

Name:	mod3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	233917   Click image for larger version

Name:	mod4.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	233918  
Old 13th May 2021, 3:56 pm   #2
qualityten
Octode

Default Re: NAD3020 Series 20, 'A' and 'B' - Phono Socket Replacement Module & Install Kit

Parts that keep classic hifi working well are always useful. I would like to see the L channel's RCAs as white or black, just for easy differentiation of channels.
Old 13th May 2021, 6:00 pm   #3
menniej2
Diode

Default Re: NAD3020 Series 20, 'A' and 'B' - Phono Socket Replacement Module & Install Kit

Yes, I will be doing that, Red for Right and White for left.
Closed Thread