UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2021, 12:21 am   #1
RojDW48
Nonode

Default ITT/KB record player - separate issue

When I first turned this on it was quite 'microphonic' - just a tap on the cab would result in a loud splat. I have poked around and cleaned extensively (a couple of trim pots seemed likely suspects) and it seems to have worked. However there remains an occasional volume drop - restorable by waggling the bass control or thumping the cab! Interestingly the satellite speaker/amp has exactly the same 'microphonic' fault. Any pointers? Is this a common fault with these? It doesn't sound at all bad when it's behaving itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1350705.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	233688  
Old 10th May 2021, 8:49 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: ITT/KB record player - separate issue

The "restorable" volume drop may well be just down to dirty potentiometer tracks on the 3 controls. Spray clean (Servisol 10) and let us know how you get on.
Old 10th May 2021, 2:55 pm   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

The circuit would suggest if the same fault is happening on the extension amplifier which is independently powered with independent controls, the fault must be somewhere in the pickup circuit.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kp038.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	233710  
Old 10th May 2021, 6:12 pm   #4
RojDW48
Nonode

Thanks Mike - the splatting in the satellite unit happens without connection to the mother player - nevertheless I think you are right, there is a problem with the input

Incidentally - I had a look at you nice museum. I couldn't see a pic of the 1933 model I sold unrestored quite a few years ago. Designed for KB by Betty Joel - the buyer was her nephew (or similarly related)! Beautifully put together it was.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01448.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	233727  
Old 10th May 2021, 9:07 pm   #5
crackle
Rest in Peace

If the "splatting" happens with the separate amp disconnected from the record player then it is unlikely to be the input as I first suggested.
I wonder if it could be a bias problem.
This player is an ITT-KB KP038, I have never owned one of these players but I have found in similar ITT-KB players of this age bias adjusting trimmers that are very unreliable and I have found they can wonder of value by a factor of maybe 5 times.
The type of trimmer I am talking about looks like this Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3578.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	233732 Click image for larger version

Name:	trimer.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	233733

Mike
Old 11th May 2021, 12:23 am   #6
RojDW48
Nonode

Hello again Mike - those are the very trimmers I suspected and thorough cleaning of the ones in the main player has probably cured the problem there - at least in the short term. I shall have another go at the ones in the satellite. Would it be worth replacing with fixed value components - if so, do you know offhand what would suffice?

KP 038 is right - don't advertise it, do they? Sticky label inside the amp !!

Cheers - Roger
Old 11th May 2021, 4:42 pm   #7
crackle
Rest in Peace

There is a procedure described in the KB service manual for setting these trimmers correctly. https://www.service-data.com/product...6/13099/m19356
Yes I remember that 666 deluxe selling, I never had one in my collection hence why it is not on my website. But I believe you send me some photos for the Radio Museum.
Mike
Old 12th May 2021, 12:40 pm   #8
RojDW48
Nonode

Yes I remember that 666 deluxe selling, I never had one in my collection hence why it is not on my website. But I believe you send me some photos for the Radio Museum.
Mike

So I did !! Memory not what it was