UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 12th Apr 2021, 9:17 pm   #21
Johnbarn
Pentode

Default Re: Heathkit RG-1

Thank you Ed and Peter, that’s very helpful. The pdf shows it to be quite a complex arrangement but it is much clearer there than on the Heathkit schematic. If there is a 2P 6W rotary in anyone’s collection - or in Peter’s ex-equipment offer as in his photo I’d be grateful to try them. Failing that I’ll try to source an RS Maka Switch. I appreciate all your help.
Johnbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2021, 9:23 pm   #22
Johnbarn
Pentode

I think we crossed there Peter, yes I’d be very grateful for the photos of your set and especially for the offer of the switches if you think they’re similar to mine. Great stuff, great site! Thank you.
Old 12th Apr 2021, 9:42 pm   #23
Johnbarn
Pentode

Thank you Peter, I look forward to the photos and will be very grateful for one of your similar switches to get the set going again. This message may have gone twice as it disappeared first time.
Old 13th Apr 2021, 11:01 am   #24
Pamphonica
Nonode

I've checked my RS Makaswitch stocks and they are all the older paxolin wafer type, with a larger (c. 32mm) mounting stud spacing. Sorry.
-Jeremy
Old 13th Apr 2021, 12:16 pm   #25
Johnbarn
Pentode

Oh well, thanks for trying Jeremy. Nil desperandum. One will turn up. J
Old 13th Apr 2021, 12:57 pm   #26
G4XWDJim
Octode

Johnbarn you have a PM

Jim
G4XWDJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2021, 3:05 pm   #27
Peter F4VSA
Triode

Hi John, please find some close up pictures of the switch ad also my RG1

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch close up1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	231705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch close up2.jpg
Views:	35
ID:	231706   Click image for larger version

Name:	RG1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	231707  
Peter F4VSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2021, 4:08 pm   #28
Peter F4VSA
Triode

Other side!

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Switch close up3.jpg
Views:	36
ID:	231716  
Old 13th Apr 2021, 10:23 pm   #29
Johnbarn
Pentode

With the help of your photos Peter, I have worked out how the switch wafer was put together and how it was meant to work. What was puzzling me was the positioning of the two tiny U shaped contact pieces. Enlarging your photos gave me the clue and I slotted them into diametrically opposed positions on the centre disc of the wafer such that they also occupied vacant spaces in the two outer discs. Jiggling the whole assembly carefully brought all the pieces together nicely. But I had then to take them apart again to see why they had disintegrated in the first place! I saw that there were six tiny pins moulded into the plastic of one outer disc which engaged in tiny holes in the other one with the centre disc (the one with the terminals) in between. I’m not sure if there was originally any glue holding them together or whether they had been heat treated to bond them together but clearly whatever it was had given up and the whole thing had separated under the forces of waveband selecting. I have now Superglued them with a tiny spot of glue on each pin and got the thing reassembled and gently clamped til tomorrow. I can’t be sure at this stage if it will work - or even if it won’t come apart again like before, and for that reason I’d be very grateful if you could send me the switch from your photo to have as a backup. I’d be happy to agree a price for it and I appreciate your help all along, especially the photos which were so helpful. I don’t know how the private message system works on this site for us to exchange details - perhaps you do and you can send me one so that I can reply.
Old 14th Apr 2021, 8:58 am   #30
Peter F4VSA
Triode

Hi John, I have PM'ed you. Let me now your address and I'll put it in the post, no charge! If you click on the name on the left hald side it comes up with te option to message that person.

Peter
Old 15th Apr 2021, 11:26 am   #31
G4XWDJim
Octode

John,

Further to our PMs.

I can only send pictures in the main forum. It's not possible by PM. Here are some as promised. This is as I received it from Ed D some months ago.

I was hoping to test it but the output needs a 1.6 Mhz IF in the main receiver which is not easily possible to replicate loose on the bench.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RA-1 - 1 (1).jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	231810   Click image for larger version

Name:	RA-1 - 1.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	231811   Click image for larger version

Name:	RA-1 - 1 (2).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	231812   Click image for larger version

Name:	RA-1 - 1 (3).jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	231813  
Old 15th Apr 2021, 3:23 pm   #32
Johnbarn
Pentode

Regarding the RG1 photos you sent the front end assembly on mine is quite different to yours -variable capacitor and BFO control in particular. Quite surprising and I donít know if they will be compatible. Iíll investigate further, J
Old 15th Apr 2021, 6:40 pm   #33
G4XWDJim
Octode

John

Iíve just realised we, or more accurately I have been talking at cross purposes.

Yours is the general coverage version, RG-1 Medium Wave should have been the clue. Mine is the amateur bands version RA-1 and would need many mods to make it fit.

Sorry about that, best of luck with your switch repair.

Jim
Old 15th Apr 2021, 6:58 pm   #34
Johnbarn
Pentode

Ah ha, that explains it! I was puzzled by the many differences and I’m sure any mods would be quite impossible for me given my experience and limited test equipment. But thank you for your help anyway. I’ll persevere with the switch rebuild. J