UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2021, 12:14 pm   #1
avocollector
Heptode

Default Suppression caps on sewing machine motors - needed?

Got a nice metal bodied sewing machine electric motor 230v 5Amp 30 watt model (think it's Sew brand) to use with a minature lathe milling head (Emco Unimat 3 part) I have. Connected it all up to the mains for a tryout and everything was fine except one of the mains suppression caps went bang with a vengence - ruptured and brown goo everywhere.

How essential are these to supress rf Tempted to not bother replacing it as the motor will be only used in my shed and on a isolating transformer supply.
Old 8th Apr 2021, 1:49 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Suppression caps on sewing machine motors - needed?

They might also help reducing brush sparking so reduce brush wear. I'd be inclined to replace them.
Old 8th Apr 2021, 8:27 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'd definitely replace the suppressor-capacitors; who knows, you might just have a radio-ham or legacy SW/MW/LW-radio-listener living locally who might come round and poke you repeatedly with a pungee-stick if you blot-out his/her radio-reception.
Old 9th Apr 2021, 1:07 pm   #4
avocollector
Heptode

Thanks for those ideas folks - so the answer is clearly yep to replace.
Old 9th Apr 2021, 11:48 pm   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

Try to find a polypropylene (MKP) replacement instead of a paper cap which might be old stock and fail again soon.
Closed Thread