UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2020, 8:55 am   #1
mark1965
Diode

Default Upgrade cartridge & Stylus

Hi. Was hoping to get a replacement cartridge and stylus for my Ultra Stereogram 6330, when it goes for a service, but the shop is now closed for the foreseeable. So looking to replace these myself purchasing online. Just wondered if there are any quality upgrades I can purchase. I know a standard set would be around £35. Happy to go to around £100 max

Any help in pointing me to the right sites and makes that would be best for my system greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200328_074517.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	201692   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200328_074147.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	201693  
Old 28th Mar 2020, 10:51 am   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Upgrade cartridge & Stylus

Unclip the cartridge and see what number is printed on the top (something like SX6M). A direct replacement would be best, but what is wrong with the cartridge you have at the moment?
Old 28th Mar 2020, 11:29 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There are no suitable cartridge "upgrades" as such. This is due to the inherent limitations of that BSR autochanger and the electronic design of your Ultra Stereogram. If the cartridge is indeed faulty, your choices are liable to be limited to a BSR SC11M or SC12H. Make a note of the connections/colours of the cartridge leads. Use tweezers to remove and reconnect.
Old 28th Mar 2020, 12:22 pm   #4
mark1965
Diode

Thanks Guys.

Bought from someone who said it was their Dad's and had been in storage for a while. Sometimes plays records ok then other times they go quiet, then loud. As I say I was going to get it serviced but shop is now closed. The rubber bit that holds the stylus seems very flimsy, hence why I thought I would replace both. Maybe you can advise if this should be like this, then I will only replace the stylus, can this be upgraded?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th Mar 2020, 3:21 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

A replacement stylus can be obtained from Musonic. Look for BSR ST14 There is no "upgrade", like must be replaced with like.
Old 28th Mar 2020, 5:33 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The intermittent volume may be due to a worn Volume or Balance control. These can be spray cleaned with Servisol 10. The stylus saddle (the "rubber bit") are inherently "flimsy" but it looks OK to me in your photo above. Even if the exisitng stylus is worn, it is not liable to make any difference to the volume level.
Old 28th Mar 2020, 6:07 pm   #7
mark1965
Diode

Thanks again guys, your advice is much appreciated. 👍
Stay safe.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 1:58 am   #8
ben
Dekatron

That cart is BSR C1 ceramic type and they usually last well. A replacement (SC11/SC12) is expensive -around 30 pounds - so I would eliminate all other possible causes of poor /low sound first, as Edward says.

FYI The stylus you need is ST12, 14 (vinyl LP and 78 tips) or if you do not have 78s use ST15 (two tips for vinyl) . ST19 is a single point one and can be found cheaper still.

The ST3/4 are older but you may still find one.
Closed Thread