UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2019, 1:16 am   #241
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: The Repair Shop extended episodes now on BBC2

When they presented the radio, the narrator stated that they had "Enlisted Help From The Local Radio Station" and then, like magic, Anna Bingham (from the local radio station) announced "This Is Spirit FM"..... Wow, That's some repair job !!! Making the AM radio pic up FM!!

Oh Yeh, just to add, the tuning scale is from a Decca Debonaire Deluxe.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 7:26 am   #242
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

The Moderators closed the previous long-running thread on this topic on the grounds of “repetition”, so to avoid this thread’s succumbing to a similar fate, please can we restrict any comments to the new, previously-unseen footage? The GEC radio and many of the other items featured have already been discussed on the Forum in some detail.

Thanks,

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 24th Jul 2019, 9:25 am   #243
camtechman
Nonode

Can we restrict any comments to the new, previously-unseen footage?

Will Do. But in my defence, I'd never seen the show, new or old footage, until you brought it up.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 9:37 am   #244
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

does Camtechman not have a fair point to make? If anyone has never seen these (or any relevant )shows before hw do they know there have been previous threads on topics featured? (I missed most of the item about the GEC Radio, b.t.w.)
Old 24th Jul 2019, 9:55 am   #245
Station X

Default Re: BBC TV: The Repair Shop

Threads merged and reopened. Please let's not go over the same old ground again.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 10:02 am   #246
David Simpson
Nonode

Purley, by chance, as I scrolled through yesterday evening's listings, I thought to have a quick look at "The Repair Shop", hoping that the skilled brother & sister were doing-up something really interesting. Lo & behold, it was a repeat of that poor old chap suffering the indignity of being induced to crying on TV(the camera zooming in), as he related 'two years to the day since my wife died'. Along with the clapped out tranny & its toothbrush modified push-buttons.
Not satisfied with half an hour of drippy drooly, tear jerking introduction waffle by the presenters - we're now subject to a whole hour! Perhaps this same private production company will give viewers a one hour program of that engineering expert - Mike Brewer. Re-tune to "The Farming Life" is my advice. Factual & true to life.

Regards, David
Old 24th Jul 2019, 11:48 am   #247
The Philpott
Dekatron

I do love to see people grafting on TRS though, the format and the final edit might be pasteurised and chopped about but at least it contains information.
Sorry if i'm repeating someone elses comments, but...did that (ugly) Wurlitzer on one ep. look like a fire risk to you!? Rewire it!

Being the programme controller and expanding TRS to 1 hour, then shrinking Countryfile to 30 minutes would be immensely satisfying for me. The final straw was last week- one faction going around vaccinating badgers, the others in the next county shooting them. (Not that that was the fault of the producer..)
Not even the scimitar-like wit of John Craven can disguise a bulked out format though..

I can even forgive TRS the fake snow on the xmas episode (on the basis wide shots were carelessly left in, showing green grass to either side..)

Dave
Old 24th Jul 2019, 12:00 pm   #248
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Threads merged and reopened.
Thank you, Graham.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 24th Jul 2019, 1:32 pm   #249
Radio Wrangler

I think we must not lose sight of the simple fact that WE are definitely NOT the audience these programmes are being made for.

They are not intended to be technically interesting to people already active in the field.

They are simply general entertainment. They are 'sexed-up' with fake deadlines, difficulties etc to make them gripping viewing. Just like those shows where results are announced with horrendous pauses to wind up the tension.

Television, like film, is a window on an entirely artificial, fake, universe.

A TV series was shot near the place I come from (I fell off my bike round those lanes) you would scarcely credit the lengths they went to to make things as per the producer's visualisation rather than what was really there. It seems 'factual' programmes are no better.

Moaning about it makes no difference, so I find it easier just to avoid watching.

David
Old 24th Jul 2019, 2:10 pm   #250
slidertogrid
Octode

Personally I think it is easy to take these sort of programme too seriously, They are intended for a broad audience that would lose interest if they covered every detail and each restoration went on and on...
The general point of the programme is that they restore or save someone's precious item with their skills.

It's easy to pull it apart, something I found myself doing.. I was told not to be so sad and enjoy the programme for what it is rather than jump on every detail.
The owners seem pleased with the results. Of course you have to realise and accept that most TV is faked, rehearsed and drawn out..

I went to a recording of a talk show that C4 created back in the 1990's nothing was how it seemed on broadcast. The audience was less than appeared, the studio was small, the set was very tatty and knocked about (pre HD) and a lot of the spontaneous stuff was retaken more than once.
It was a bit of an eye opener to me, nowhere near as smooth and professional as it appeared..

Why is it a problem if people discuss what has previously been talked about? You don't have to read or agree with every post.. Slamming the door on a thread because of that seems a little unnecessary to me, after all its just a chat forum not an O level English essay?
Old 24th Jul 2019, 2:42 pm   #251
David Simpson
Nonode

The wifie who repairs ceramics, the two wifies who repair soft toys, the horologist, the young chap who repairs veneered cabinets etc., & so on, all very skilled & watchable. But I betcha that if Drew Pritchard employed them on one of his programs - they would be openly paid a fair wack of £££, without having to use drippy-drooly speak. Instead of demeaning themselves on a program whose storylines are manipulated to demean the item owner's even more. 'Granny's wheelchair brake slipped & she bonked into a cabinet, or ran over her granddaughter's wee dolly'.'Oh dear, sniff sniff, here is my hankie'.
Years ago, I once took some items to the Antiques Roadshow, in Aberdeen. What you see on TV is what you get when you're in front of an expert. No waffle, no drippy drooly-ness. Just an interesting assessment of your item. And, Bunny Campioni is a lovely woman.

Regards, David
Old 24th Jul 2019, 3:20 pm   #252
suebutcher
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Television, like film, is a window on an entirely artificial, fake, universe.
That is also my considered opinion. It's mostly twaddle.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 3:32 pm   #253
AC/HL
Dekatron

If you think all this is carping, it's pussy footing round compared to most on-line content. As said, collectively we're not the audience for any generally broadcast programme. The "technical" ones don't go into enough depth for many of us, the "practical" ones are easily picked apart, the historic ones similarly. In fact they're all made on a budget for as wide an audience as they can scrape together. The final arbiter is the off switch, which if you're on a bi directional link (cable, sky) is logged and gives them randomised feedback.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 3:37 pm   #254
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
I think we must not lose sight of the simple fact that WE are definitely not the audience these programmes are being made for.

They are not intended to be technically interesting to people already active in the field.
Agree totally with the above comments from David and I do tend to watch the programmes from that perspective.

What does amuse me is a common thread I've picked up which usually relates to the restoration of a "much loved and cherished family item" - so "loved and cherished" that it's spent the last ten, twenty, thirty etc. years in a drawer or in a box or bag in the attic! Or maybe I'm just being churlish.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 3:41 pm   #255
ms660
Dekatron

It gets worse...thread turns into old foggy's net/facebookesque.

What's the point.

Lawrence.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 3:46 pm   #256
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
The final arbiter is the off switch, which if you're on a bi directional link (cable, sky) is logged and gives them randomised feedback.
I didn't know that (being a 'Freeview' viewer only). Why randomised feedback though? Isn't there the wherewithal to log on/off data for every bidirectional viewer and so build up a more realistic picture? Or will they have some sort of algorithm to factor in those viewers who have switched off just because they're nipping out, etc...?

I rather like 'The Repair Shop'. It is what it is: entertainment.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 3:47 pm   #257
ex seismic
Heptode

The most interesting bits are the brief clips in the opening sequences of someone doing something with a lathe, brazing torch etc. Sadly they never resurface.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 4:21 pm   #258
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

My only comments are,these much loved items seem to have spent most of there lives in damp sheds etc.

Bit like some of the stuff offered around online.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 4:22 pm   #259
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
It gets worse...thread turns into old foggy's net/facebookesque.

What's the point.

Lawrence.
Lawrence, the solution is simple - just don't open this thread!

There are plenty of other threads I know I have no interest in, so don't continue to look at them.

Andy
Old 24th Jul 2019, 4:22 pm   #260
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
Quote:
I think we must not lose sight of the simple fact that WE are definitely not the audience these programmes are being made for.

Agree totally with the above comments from David and I do tend to watch the programmes from that perspective.

What does amuse me is a common thread I've picked up which usually relates to the restoration of a "much loved and cherished family item" - so "loved and cherished" that it's spent the last ten, twenty, thirty etc. years in a drawer or in a box or bag in the attic! Or maybe I'm just being churlish.
I also endorse David's (Radio Wrangler) comments. If these programmes were produced in the style of Open University programmes of yore the mass of the viewing population would soon be clicking the remote.

I find myself restoring much stuff that belonged to my parents and grandparents that was dumped in the garage or attic. These items probably were once much loved but then discarded in the common trend of replacing stuff because it was considered old-fashioned and out-of-date - often with an equivalent new item of inferior quality. Perhaps it's because my relatives of those generations are long gone (and in the case of grandparents just a vague blurry memory gained when a small child) that these items are the only remaining physical connection I have with them. Or perhaps I'm just a bit peculiar.*

*Actually, I know I'm peculiar - I also mess about with old radio sets that only work on wavebands that broadcasters are rapidly abandoning!
Closed Thread