UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2020, 1:58 pm   #1
Roisin Fulcher
Triode

Default HMV 2312 / Garrard 3000 repair

Hi,
I recently got a HMV 2312 stereogram that I am restoring. It has a Garrard turntable inside it (I reckon it’s a 3000 although it doesn’t have the model number on it). I’ve restored it and the turntable works and the arm drops and returns automatically.

However, when I stack records on the automatic spindle and select ‘auto’, the bottom record drops fine but the other records lay tilted on the spindle. They are tilted and block the arm from dropping to the record. If I stop the arm from knocking into them, the auto spindle eventually straightens them up. Basically, I think the auto spindle release mechanism is slower than the auto arm and I need it to drop the bottom record and straighten the others up before the arm tries to drop onto the record playing. Any help at all would be appreciated.

I’m also planning to wire in new speakers if anyone has any suggestions of good models that would work.

Again, any help on the automatic spindle mechanism would be hugely helpful!

Thanks!
Old 6th Apr 2020, 2:19 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: HMV 2312 / Garrard 3000 repair

Forgive me if I'm being thick, but isn't there an overarm to keep the record stack at 90 degrees to the spindle?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 6th Apr 2020, 2:35 pm   #3
BRASSBITS
Hexode

A photo of the deck will help.
Old 6th Apr 2020, 8:14 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roisin Fulcher View Post
Hi,
I recently got a HMV 2312 stereogram.

I’m also planning to wire in new speakers if anyone has any suggestions of good models that would work.

Again, any help on the automatic spindle mechanism would be hugely helpful!

Thanks!
Why would you want to wire in new speakers - are they faulty? It's highly unlikely that replacement speakers, even if you could easily source them, would improve the sound. Don't try to make this somthing it can never be.....

BTW The specifed Autochanger for this model is a Garrard 3000.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 3:09 pm   #5
Roisin Fulcher
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Forgive me if I'm being thick, but isn't there an overarm to keep the record stack at 90 degrees to the spindle?
Hi Graham. Yes, there is but it still doesn’t hold it in place. I’ll post a picture now too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRASSBITS View Post
A photo of the deck will help.
Hi. I’ve attached a photo of the deck empty and then one of it when a record has dropped and the record stacked is tilted. You can see that it tilts down towards the arm and so gets in the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C6A79FBF-19F4-4255-8DF7-FAB58C7ECA82.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	202432   Click image for larger version

Name:	B4A7879E-8EFA-48A1-BC57-F5AFCB773540.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	202433  
Old 7th Apr 2020, 3:15 pm   #6
Roisin Fulcher
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Why would you want to wire in new speakers - are they faulty? It's highly unlikely that replacement speakers, even if you could easily source them, would improve the sound. Don't try to make this something it can never be...

BTW The specified Autochanger for this model is a Garrard 3000.
Yes, they are faulty. Sound only comes from one of the two speakers. I am going to take a look at the wiring and replace the stylus before I replace any speakers and try to do my best with what is already here.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 5:02 pm   #7
BRASSBITS
Hexode

ok Can you post a picture of the auto spindle sideways on from the front with no records on it
Old 7th Apr 2020, 5:18 pm   #8
Station X

I think the over arm should be nearer to the spindle. As it stands it's bound to tilt the stack.

Old 7th Apr 2020, 5:33 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
Why would you want to wire in new speakers - are they faulty? It's highly unlikely that replacement speakers, even if you could easily source them, would improve the sound. Don't try to make this something it can never be...

Yes, they are faulty. Sound only comes from one of the two speakers. I am going to take a look at the wiring and replace the stylus before I replace any speakers and try to do my best with what is already here.
Speakers very rarely fail. Is the fault on both Radio and Gram? If so, it's more likely that there's a fault in the amplifier channel driving that speaker. It's a common fault on this unit.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 5:57 pm   #10
Roisin Fulcher
Triode

Quote:
ok Can you post a picture of the auto spindle sideways on from the front with no records on it
Here’s a picture of it side on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1CE76592-41DB-44C7-BDA3-6DD0E9D2E1F1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	202447   Click image for larger version

Name:	2C1727D7-055D-4351-A46A-A89DCDAE55AD.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	202448  
Old 7th Apr 2020, 5:58 pm   #11
Roisin Fulcher
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I think the over arm should be nearer to the spindle. As it stands it's bound to tilt the stack.
Would I need to rotate the arm on its own spindle then? As that’s where it sits when the spindle drops into place.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 6:23 pm   #12
ms660
Dekatron

I agree.

The over arm might have been forced to the right against the will of the pin on its shaft, that would mean the angle between the over arm and the pin would be out.

Lawrence.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 6:27 pm   #13
Audio1950
Dekatron

The overarm is either bent, or is not going down far enough to rest on the stack of records. With no records on the turntable, put the overarm in the centre position, make sure it is fully down, then measure the distance from the turntable at various points along the length of the overarm. It should lie at a dead 90 degrees to the centre spindle.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 7:10 pm   #14
Michael Maurice

I concur with Audio1950 that the overarm may be bent.

Do not fit modern speakers to a unit of this age, they tend to be inefficient compared to older units

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 7th Apr 2020, 7:20 pm   #15
Roisin Fulcher
Triode

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Speakers very rarely fail. Is the fault on both Radio and Gram? If so, it's more likely that there's a fault in the amplifier channel driving that speaker. It's a common fault on this unit.
Hi Edward. The radio isn’t working yet I have to fix the tuner. I’ll have a look at the amplifier channel and see if I can identify the problem there! Thanks!
Old 7th Apr 2020, 7:42 pm   #16
Roisin Fulcher
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
The overarm is either bent, or is not going down far enough to rest on the stack of records. With no records on the turntable, put the overarm in the centre position, make sure it is fully down, then measure the distance from the turntable at various points along the length of the overarm. It should lie at a dead 90 degrees to the centre spindle.
I reckon that it is bent. It isn’t going in far enough towards the centre spindle. It seems to be at 90 degrees to the spindle and parallel with the turntable though. Is there any way of getting it to go in further towards the centre?

Last edited by Roisin Fulcher; 7th Apr 2020 at 7:56 pm.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 8:01 pm   #17
Roisin Fulcher
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
I agree.

The over arm might have been forced to the right against the will of the pin on its shaft, that would mean the angle between the over arm and the pin would be out.

Lawrence.
Hi Lawrence. This is what I reckon has happened. Is there any strategic way to fix it?
Old 7th Apr 2020, 8:30 pm   #18
BRASSBITS
Hexode

Quote:
Quote:
Here’s a picture of it side on.
The spindle looks like it is in the wrong position. The part of the spindle where the mech parts stick out needs to be at the seven o clock position, however the clip that holds the platter on and also locks the spindle in position is missing.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 9:42 pm   #19
Station X

A picture from a similar item on eBay shows the over arm much closer to the spindle. The OP will need to check what's been bent.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...84879&_sacat=0

Old 7th Apr 2020, 9:45 pm   #20
ms660
Dekatron

Ditto again with Graham.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
I agree.

Lawrence.
Hi Lawrence. This is what I reckon has happened. Is there any strategic way to fix it?
Last time I had an over arm out of kilter was man-------y moons ago when I was in the trade, I cant' remember the make of the deck or the method I used to fix it but the pin might have been in it's slot and the over arm was then forced back to where it should have been, as said I can't remember for sure, whatever you do don't force anything that's likely to break.

There might have been a post with the same problem on here not too long ago with a method......anyone?

Other's might have other observations, but apart from the orientation of the center spindle and the missing clip mentioned by BRASSBITS the way it looks to me in the photo is that the arm isn't over far enough....unless the photo is deceiving my eyes, which is always a possibility....having said that there are several photo's on the web including that of a manual that show the over arm further over to the center than the OP's is.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread