UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 3rd Mar 2020, 11:52 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Default Re: Which bench multimeter?

Another use for a high resolution DVM is tracing shorts on boards. A multilayer PCB with a ground plane and a power plane with one shorted device or decoupler pulling the supply down is a classic puzzle.

With a current limited PSU putting a moderate current into the thing, you can plot a contour map of the relative potentials of all the accessible points for each plane. You can even measure the voltage drop along the j-lead of an SMT chip.

Cheating? yes, but it doesn't half make life easier.

Once you have some good tackle, you find new ways of using it.

David
Old 4th Mar 2020, 12:46 am   #22
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Which bench multimeter?

We had both the Keithley and the few of the HP's (although branded Keysight) where I used to work which were probably bought from an end of year surplus. When I first saw them I thought what are we ever going to use these for? However, the portable multimeters kept on disappearing while these ones stayed on the shelf so I gave them a try and I certainly found them very useful - especially the high resistance range on the HP which was very useful for finding leaking connectors.
jamesperrett is offline   Reply With Quote