UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jun 2018, 8:21 pm   #1
G4_Pete
Hexode

Default Workshop dig out

This is my workshop under the stairs that had fallen into a junk storage area and not been used for a few years. So today decided to restore it to use. Found a fully restored VHF 71 , forgot I did it and had to do a cap check before powering!! All caps were new. Also found bits of test gear that I had not seen for ages. I eventually got it all cleared and gradually tested things. The only failure was my faithfull Maplin frequency counter that worked for a few mins then wouuld not respond to the selection buttons.
Note there is an extraction fan under the shelf overhang to take out fumes should I solder under the overhang.
Cross connected everything in Dr Who fasion with a lissajous for the final photo.

The challenge now is to keep it tidy and useable.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Start.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	164659   Click image for larger version

Name:	A few goodies emerging.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	164660   Click image for larger version

Name:	getting there.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	164661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Most of it still works.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	164662  
Old 15th Jun 2018, 10:33 pm   #2
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: Workshop dig out

Well done!

I did something similar recently - in fact I cleared a few benches in various places which are set up for different purposes. I'm trying really hard to keep the benches clear all the time - just take out a job onto the bench, work on it, then put it aside. I've made a load more shelves to try to have more 'aside' space, but even if it ends up on the floor, I want a clear bench to inspire me to want to work. Seems to be helping!
Old 15th Jun 2018, 10:54 pm   #3
The Philpott
Dekatron

Funnily enough even though i get hayfever and my other half is asthmatic, rosin fumes don't affect either of us...as far as we can tell
Old 16th Jun 2018, 7:05 am   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
Well done!

I did something similar recently - in fact I cleared a few benches in various places which are set up for different purposes. I'm trying really hard to keep the benches clear all the time - just take out a job onto the bench, work on it, then put it aside. I've made a load more shelves to try to have more 'aside' space, but even if it ends up on the floor, I want a clear bench to inspire me to want to work. Seems to be helping!
Congratulations, Mark...
But what do you do with all the longer-term projects, those awaiting parts or thinking time, those where you are interrupted half-way through etc? Putting them 'aside' always seems to result in missing parts or loss of interest for me.
At present, I have a pressure washer apart on the garden table, an amplifier on my electronics bench, a mixer in the dining room...
Old 16th Jun 2018, 8:52 am   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Blimey Pete, that's very bijoux you must feel like Harry Potter in there : ) Still I bet it does the job and good to see you back at the bench. I'd go nut's if I didn't have somewhere to tinker.

It's a never ending battle Mark, trying to keep the bench and WS clear. I spend a day mucking mine out once in a while till it looks great, then some s*d comes in and chucks stuff everywhere and makes a mess. It's like Jekyl and Hyde.

"Funnily enough..... rosin fumes don't affect either of us" Puts hairs on your chest as they used to say.

Andy.
Old 16th Jun 2018, 10:29 am   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Great job.
Old 16th Jun 2018, 11:14 am   #7
Geoff 555
Heptode

Don't mention rosin fumes. Have a large cupboard and made myself very very unpopular, The fire alarm sensor is in the ceiling down the passage, every time I solder something, off it goes.
It has no means of stopping it, it is connected to the fire station.
Move to the living room, need a pee, open door -- oh balls, you can guess.
It is a sad life, can't solder and pee at the same time.
Suggestions on a post card.
Cheers.
Geoff.
I am joking about the pc.
Old 16th Jun 2018, 11:21 am   #8
mark_in_manc
Octode

Pee in a bottle? Or investigate one of those typically not-very-good cooker hoods with a big bag of activated carbon in them, which don't extract to the outside. Activated carbon is remarkable stuff. I bet you could scavenge a cooker hood for nothing.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 5:44 pm   #9
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4_Pete View Post
This is my workshop under the stairs that had fallen into a junk storage area and not been used for a few years. So today decided to restore it to use. Found a fully restored VHF 71 , forgot I did it and had to do a cap check before powering!! All caps were new. Also found bits of test gear that I had not seen for ages. I eventually got it all cleared and gradually tested things. The only failure was my faithfull Maplin frequency counter that worked for a few mins then wouuld not respond to the selection buttons.
Note there is an extraction fan under the shelf overhang to take out fumes should I solder under the overhang.
Cross connected everything in Dr Who fasion with a lissajous for the final photo.

The challenge now is to keep it tidy and useable.

Pete
Your last statement about tidy and useable was one challenge I was never able to master.
That trait seems to be universal in a hobby of this type.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 8:31 pm   #10
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4_Pete View Post
This is my workshop under the stairs that had fallen into a junk storage area and not been used for a few years. So today decided to restore it to use.

Ingenious use of space, Pete, love it!

And also the Lissajous figures, I'm a big fan of them!
Old 18th Jun 2018, 8:42 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

Isn't it illegal to have a Lissajou figure showing if there is no Theremin accompanying it? Or does that only apply if the figure is rotating? If it stays stationary, then it's art?

David
Old 20th Jun 2018, 7:07 am   #12
thermionic
Heptode

Great little work space ...... I hope you’re not 6 foot tall😜

SimonT
Old 20th Jun 2018, 8:14 am   #13
G4_Pete
Hexode

Unfortunately I am just under 6 foot hence the pipe insulation on the first stair step in the photo! However once sitting on the removable bench seat there is plenty of head room.
Pete

Last edited by G4_Pete; 20th Jun 2018 at 8:15 am. Reason: added removable
Old 20th Jun 2018, 4:13 pm   #14
tim.norris
Hexode

Great use of space , have just had a tidy under our stairs today , found a murphy a26 ,sobell 516 and an old marconi woody as well ! hopefully moving them on tomorrow , been sat there a while ! is that a Unilab ,made in Blackburn oscilloscope top left ?
regards, Tim, Blackburn, Lancs.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 4:21 pm   #15
ex seismic
Heptode

Re the smoke alarm, try a rubber kitchen glove or similar over it when you are soldering.
Old 20th Jun 2018, 5:17 pm   #16
G4_Pete
Hexode

Hi Tim Yes schools Unilab 32.602 to be precise , purchased faulty with one 20p transistor failed!
I keep it because it is protected against ground loops and is quick and simple to set up in the range DC up to a few hundred Khz. Plus its simplicity and reparability appeals to me.
The Tek 2235 on the right hand side is for more serious measurements.
Pete
Old 20th Jun 2018, 8:55 pm   #17
David Simpson
Nonode

Congratulations Pete. A lovely collection of test equipment. Plus the great Lissajou figures.

Regards, David
Old 26th Jun 2018, 10:56 pm   #18
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

There is something nice about a small workspace, and yours looks really nice.

For many years, I operated both my ham station and vintage radio workshop out of an 8' x 6' garden shed. Very cheap to heat in winter too!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread