UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Old 12th Jul 2018, 1:53 pm   #1
Marleybear16
Diode

Exclamation *RARE* Ajax A25 "leader" radio telephone

Hello. I have an Ajax A25 "Leader" Radio telephone, used for marine offshore and onshore, multi frequency (requires OFCOM licence I believe) in mint condition.

Clearing out grandad's shed and looking to sell, not much info on internet.

I am asking for 450 thank you.

Not sure how to post up pics on here.

Last edited by Station X; 12th Jul 2018 at 1:59 pm. Reason: Forum rule compliance.
Marleybear16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2018, 3:10 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: *RARE* Ajax A25 "leader" radio telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybear16 View Post
Not sure how to post up pics on here.
In "create new thread" and "reply to thread" you will find (if you scroll down a bit) a button marked "manage attachments". If you click on this you will see a menu enabling you to specify up to five files containing your images (or other attachment). Once you have included the desired images etc, click the "upload" button in the menu window. You can then close the menu and proceed to submit your post.
Old 12th Jul 2018, 3:34 pm   #3
Restoration73
Octode

I do not think the specified price will be easily realised. The 1960's AM transceiver will
only be of use to a licensed amateur, and the transmitter recrystalled for frequencies
in 160m or 80m bands, unless an outboard vfo is fitted. It is a good example of
a hybrid fish-phone prior to the adoption of ssb.
Restoration73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2018, 6:35 pm   #4
m0cemdave
Heptode

I agree with the above. These radios regularly change hands at rallies or collectors' auctions, at prices typically around a tenth of what the OP is asking.
m0cemdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2018, 6:41 pm   #5
Station X

This looks like the model:-

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ajax_r...phone_a25.html

Description says it's SSB, but I'm not so sure.

Were I interested, which I'm not, I wouldn't pay more then 50 for it. The OP would do better selling it on eBay.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Station X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2018, 11:23 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Odd. The radiomuseum dating would put it in the SSB era, but a valve line-up of a pair of 1625s and one PL508 is peculiar. I don't see the need for anything as beefy as a PL508 to drive essentially a pair of 807s, but as a screen modulator for AM? No it's not certain either way. However the PL508 is a very odd choice given the heater voltage.

The use of surplus 1625s and a TV line output valve mark this as a bit of a budget job.

The shouted 'rare' descriptor makes me think it may also be being marketed elsewhere. Pricewise, I agree.

David
Old 12th Jul 2018, 11:45 pm   #7
AC/HL

Some information here: http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~tel0.../AjaxRadio.htm
Old 13th Jul 2018, 5:37 am   #8
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Ah. So it is AM, and presumably CW as the receiver has a BFO.
He says the PL508 is the crystal oscillator, which is a surprise.
Fishfones either get given away or sold for the value of the parts that can be harvested from them. They're not seen as useable radios.

David
Old 13th Jul 2018, 6:50 pm   #9
G4_Pete
Hexode

Hi I regularly operate the Ajax A20 on our local Top Band AM Net, this is the model before the A25 but with similar specifications. There is a BFO but this , on the A20 at least, is only on the long wave resolve the old direction finding signals. My understanding is that the A25 radio is AM not SSB as described on the radio museum site unless there was a later ssb model also designated A25.

The receiver is a basic superhet .

You need a hefty psu to run the inverter for TX .

I can confirm if you get any transmitter crystals cut for top band, as I did, they will cost more than the radio itself!!!! ( I never tried synthesized modules in the driver)

Pete
G4_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2018, 6:52 pm   #10
m0cemdave
Heptode

There are a few A25's in use on the regular AM nets on 3615kHz.

My radio club used to have one (though it wasn't in operation). From what I remember there is a solid state modulator (2x OC35 or similar), providing plate & screen modulation of the 1625 via a transformer.

1625's were readily available in large quantities, ex government surplus, well into the 1970's. They were cheaper than 807's (being a 12V heater version of the same valve) and equally indestructible. The manufacturer probably bought a substantial stock at a bargain price.

Last edited by m0cemdave; 13th Jul 2018 at 7:17 pm.
m0cemdave is offline   Reply With Quote