UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2011, 3:42 pm   #21
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

Default Re: Restorers dream part 2 the chassis.

Hi Col,

I look forward to re-joining you on your Chassis restoration after having been enthralled by your epic cabinet restoration,
regarding the cap replacement it maybe a good idea to replace the coupling capacitors to the audio output valve, the lineoutput valve and the frame output valve before powering up for the first time. They all come under the description of 'That Capacitor'!
This may well save the valves from overload if (and it is likely) that the coupling caps are leaky

Regards

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 1st Apr 2011, 4:36 pm   #22
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

Thanks for this information Andy; it makes a lot of sense; on this chassis most of the caps look very easy to replace and I would have only switched on for short periods anyway until I felt confident nothing was going to expire; I'll also bring it up slowly as Steve suggests with the Variac.

I'm pleased you enjoyed the cabinet restoration and every time I see the cabinet it gives me such a thrill; I hope this chassis restoration also turns into an epic but with all the expert advice available I don't think it will take too long before I see "first light".

Kind regards, Col.
Old 1st Apr 2011, 5:50 pm   #23
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

Hi Col,

All the best.
I cut my teeth on valve equipment!
Started out at the age of 13/14 with a faulty Pye VT4, and had 'TV Servicing' book by Gordon J King on extended loan from the local library.
At the time I knew very little about TVs but that first TV taught me an awful lot.
I'm looking forward to getting a 405 line tv that needs lots of TLC when I have built my workshop.
You are in good hands here on the forum(s)

Regards

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 2nd Apr 2011, 9:28 pm   #24
Danny
Heptode

Hi all i must confess the scrap set isnt realy that bad but it has a low tube not usles but low i swaped the tube as i wanted a realy good one to tranceplant into the emi set i restored some time back the rest should be ok the lopt casing from my memory was also ok you may actually get a picture on it with a few cap changes the cabinet is poorly but with your skills may be salvagable. the main thing is to get some life into your creation. but you never know by the time you get onto your second set another spare lopt may turn up. hope you get someone on forum courier service to collect it. but i work week days so it would have to be evenings or weekends. Danny
Old 2nd Apr 2011, 9:55 pm   #25
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

Thanks for the good wishes Andy and your interesting notes. I came into radio restoration aged 54 as I wanted something to do during our long winters. I too am self taught and still have a great deal to learn but this to me is the fun in this hobby. Good luck with your workshop and don't forget to put some decent heating and lighting in as you will need both even more than me living further north.

I might end up with both a 14" and a 17" Ekco at this rate Danny if I can restore your scrap 14" set in due course. I'll be delighted to get my hands on it then I can make progress on my own set; until I get the LOPT sorted out I'm not touching anything else on my set as I could very easily lose the plot. Many thanks for your kindness.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 16th Apr 2011, 3:27 pm   #26
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

Unfortunately no one has yet been able to help with transporting the set from Danny in Norfolk to Huddersfield. If it is OK with Danny I would still like to receive his set although I have excellent news.

I couldn't believe my luck at the recent Golborne meeting; Mike from Cramlington was extremely generous in offering me a suitable LOPT in good working order and when I asked how much it would cost Mike would not accept any payment for it not even for postage and this was not cheap. I can't thank Mike enough for this as he is true to his word and I now have the LOPT shown in the pictures; this is amazing because this LOPT still retains a perfect plastic enclosure whereas my plastic enclosure had crumbled to dust this being all that remained of it.

These plastic enclosures have a habit of disintegrating and I fully expected having to make a new enclosure from Tufnol and Jeffrey had already kindly sent me pictures of the one he constructed so this now saves me a job.

I also have excellent circuit diagrams kindly supplied by Keith and Keith helped out further by identifying the valves on the diagram; I've just had a quick look and found where the LOPT is shown on the diagram which is a starting point because I'll need leading by the hand throughout this chassis work as it is my first TV chassis.

I'll print off all the information already kindly supplied in this thread which will be a great help to me and I'd like to thank everyone concerned for supplying it.

I wanted to start on the chassis today but I had a very bad night last night getting up at 7 o'clock this morning because I was in too much pain to remain in bed. My upper right arm was really giving me some grief and I think I might have strained or pulled a muscle whilst working around the bungalow; what a relief it is now the pain has subsided at last; it wasn't at all pleasant whilst it lasted.

Bron lopped six inches from my hair a couple of days ago so if I now come into contact with mega-volts on the chassis I won't resemble a mad professor as much.

I need to settle into my workshop next week which will be strange as I've not done any work in there for many months due to the bad weather.

I've added the pictures of the LOPT as received in the hope that they will help others.

I'd like to thank everyone for your help so far and I feel confident with your continued help we can pull a miracle off between us. Do I change the U25 whilst the LOPT is readily accessible sitting on the bench because Jeffrey very kindly gave me a new U25?

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco T311 LOPT. (1).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	49624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco T311 LOPT. (2).jpg
Views:	260
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	49625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco T311 LOPT. (3).jpg
Views:	249
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	49626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco T311 LOPT. (4).jpg
Views:	268
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	49627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco T311 LOPT. (5).jpg
Views:	257
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	49628  

Old 16th Apr 2011, 3:37 pm   #27
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

So that's what it's meant to look like! The one in my set wasn't as bad as the one in yours but it was sufficiently far gone such I couldn't really work out everything about the original appearance.

Even when it's fitted in the set it's not too hard to change the EHT rectifier. I'd wait for John Wakely's opinion on the subject.
Old 16th Apr 2011, 3:46 pm   #28
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Easy enough to change it when it's all fitted, Col.
Old 16th Apr 2011, 3:47 pm   #29
Steve_P
Dekatron

Leave it in for now. If it's OK, you'll have a spare!!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 16th Apr 2011, 4:29 pm   #30
ianm
Hexode

Looking forward to seeing 'first light'

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 16th Apr 2011, 5:14 pm   #31
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

Thanks everyone; I'll install the LOPT as it is then and bring volts up slowly with the Variac in the hope of seeing first light as Ian says.

I'm amazed at how the plastic enclosure disintegrated on my set Jeffrey as there was absolutely no sign of it; the entire enclosure had crumbled to fragments which were blown away with the airline; I didn't even know it needed an enclosure until you kindly informed me and sent the pictures; your new enclosure looked excellent and I was about to copy the design which is pretty near the original design so top marks to you.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 16th Apr 2011, 5:15 pm   #32
brianc
Rest in Peace

You realise Colin, that as you made such a fantastic job of the cabinet, the chassis restoration will have to be up to the same standard because you are definitely not the type to hide the muck under the carpet
Only joking.
Old 16th Apr 2011, 5:28 pm   #33
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

Many thanks for the compliment Brian; Mike's already suggested a gold plated chassis; I'll be just happy to see a picture to start with because I have a great deal to learn but then I suppose there is no better way than to get stuck in and don't worry about it.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 16th Apr 2011, 5:29 pm   #34
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

So THAT'S what an LOPT looks like.

Good to hear you'll soon be getting stuck in as I'm looking forward to reading about it. I'll have to careful though as the vintage wireless bug has well and truly bitten me and I don't want infecting with the TV one.

Good luck, though I don't think you'll need it with your aptitude and the support that's available.

All the best

- Joe
Old 16th Apr 2011, 7:59 pm   #35
Danny
Heptode

Hi I will pack the spares/ resto set up for you somtime soon and let you know when its packed . But dont forget to connect the crt metal work to deck or you will get a belt from it when you pwer up and the EHT rises. Danny
Old 17th Apr 2011, 10:34 am   #36
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

Yes Joe that's what the LOPT looks like from my set and I thought it would be of interest so added the pictures as there are many novices like me just starting out on TV repairs.

Thanks for the kind wishes Joe and I'm afraid you are now a lost soul because you've mentioned TV; this is all I ever did and now there is no way back and no known cure; it won't be long before you have your hands on a TV set.

I'll look forward to hearing from you Danny and thank you for your patience in holding the TV for me also many thanks for the safety warning which I've noted.

I've just put the heating on in the workshop and am about to get my hands dirty before dinner.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 17th Apr 2011, 12:12 pm   #37
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I have a defence: I don't have a television licence! Besides that my house is such a mess at present that I don't think anybody could get one through the door.

- Joe
Old 17th Apr 2011, 12:28 pm   #38
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

It's only a matter of time Joe; there is no escape however hard you try. It's easier in the long run to just accept your fate and squeeze a telly in.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 19th Apr 2011, 3:36 pm   #39
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

I didn't intend cleaning anything until I had obtained first light but the LOPT area was incredibly dirty and I didn't want to install the replacement LOPT only to have to remove it later in order to clean this part of the chassis.

I was inspecting the chassis closely and wondered about how best to clean without disturbing anything when I noticed the aluminium cover could be removed by unscrewing three hex head self tappers. Now with the cover removed I had better access.

Its amazing how much time simple jobs take to accomplish; I spent over two hours polishing the cover and it now looks much better. The chassis though will never come up well because the plating is in poor condition and to do the job correctly would mean a complete strip which I'm not yet up to doing so I brushed out as much dirt as I could then sprayed with WD40 wiping it dry with a cloth; this hasn't improved its appearance much but at least it is now much cleaner and I can see the individual components; I pulled out two valves and cleaned them and cleaned the valve holders.

I'll take my time and fit the replacement LOPT and assemble everything on the bench coupling the CRT and speaker up then apply a bit of power in the hope of obtaining some response; I doubt very much this will be a quick restoration given what I've seen so far.

Now the milder weather is here I have other more pressing jobs to do around home but will keep working on this chassis as time permits.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LOPT area cleaned..jpg
Views:	263
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	49739   Click image for larger version

Name:	LOPT surround polished..jpg
Views:	242
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	49740  
Old 19th Apr 2011, 8:29 pm   #40
Omegaman
Hexode

Hi Col,
Looking forward to your resto of the chassis. I've started on my TV22 and having read of your cleaning efforts and thought I would share my findings.
I have been using automotive brake and clutch cleaner. You can get it at most car accessory shops in aerosol form. This is great for removing the horrible waxy gunk covering everything. Used sparingly on a cotton bud or tissue you can also clean the individual components and wiring with it. I have used it with a toothbrush and a fine Scotchbrite pad for removing heavier deposits on the chassis. Tagboards clean up great with it too. It evaporates away very quickly and leaves no residue.
Hope this may help.

Best regards

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson
Closed Thread