UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2010, 6:15 pm   #1
threeseven
Octode

Default Enhanced variac .......

Although some of the more experienced members may already be doing this I thought it might be useful to newcomers.

Some will be familiar with the mains power meter gadgets now available that can monitor various parameters of appliances or equipment plugged into them, the type that plugs into a normal mains socket and then the equipment to be used is plugged into the monitor.

For a while now I have been using one of these in conjunction with a variac when soft powering up unknown radios etc , in doing so the current, voltage, power and frequency can be directly viewed on the power monitors display as the voltage is increased.
This is very useful as it is then easy to see that all is ok as the equipment is gradually powered up. The current drawn for the average table top valve receiver is soon established and should one see a higher than anticipated value it can be investigated before potential damage is caused.

As a case in point I was powering up a Philco 471 yesterday evening and it was drawing 2-3 times more current than I was used to seeing from the type at about 115v so I know there is a problem to be investigated before going any further.

The power monitor I have was bought from Aldi of all places for £9.99 and it's a very useful thing to have.
Old 24th Nov 2010, 12:23 pm   #2
montgomery_knif
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Enhanced variac .......

also use fuse for overcurrent protection, it helps
Old 24th Nov 2010, 10:35 pm   #3
Alistair D
Nonode

Default Re: Enhanced variac .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeseven View Post
Some will be familiar with the mains power meter gadgets now available that can monitor various parameters of appliances or equipment plugged into them, the type that plugs into a normal mains socket and then the equipment to be used is plugged into the monitor.
I bought one of these meters from eBay. It does everything it says on the tin and seems to be quite accurate too. The only problem is that it does not get going until the mains is around 160volts. It looks like the Aldi one is the one to go for.

Al