UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2010, 9:20 pm   #461
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Tv62

Ok.
The HT is down, I would suspect that its getting dragged down or the reservoir/smoothing cap has gone o/c, try bridging the smoothing block first to discount them, also please check the ac on the first PY82 heater (sorry no manual here)
As HKS says are you getting full mains on the feed to the set? On of course!!
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 9:28 pm   #462
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Low - or rather varying - mains caught me out on the TV22 when I first restored it. It took an hour for the penny to drop as far as the mains did. Just 5VAC makes all the difference, 10 is very noticeable. Put yer meter across the mains Chris see what's there.

Dave
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 9:33 pm   #463
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The fact that a weak ECC82 shot the line speed up high proves that the heaters are being under run. A good valve will work fine with reduced heater power as the replacement has proven. Low H.T. will not generally give a high line speed. We can only have one fault I think. J.
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 9:46 pm   #464
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

A good trick with an old receiver is to switch the set off, count to five, then switch back on. The picture should appear very quickly after power is re applied. If the height/width is low with line/frame out of lock that takes some moments to recover you will probably find that a number of valves are very tired and will only operate fully when fully heated. A mains input down at least 10% should not show any real noticeable difference to the picture. The mains varied wildly when these sets were new and operated O.K. with reduced mains input unless it went well off scale of course, which it often did in winter. This is just a general comment and not directly connected with Chris's TV62 problem. J.
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 11:31 pm   #465
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Well went away had a long break and a cuppa as I was getting stressed. Then with a clear head went over events.

TV was ok 3 days ago. I've not done anything to it!

The only thing I did a couple of days ago was a strip down of the variac as I was going to mount it into a new cabinet then decided against and put it back together minus the voltmeter was going to make a better housing........ Yup put he scale and knob on aligned incorrectly, it looked like I was dialed in for 240 when I was well under, If I had reconnected the variacs Volt meter none of this would have happened.

I will go away now.........
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 11:43 pm   #466
GLENZ32
Hexode

Don't ya hate it when things like this happen.... I got caught out once myself with a variac that was a bit worn out and it just decided to start putting out half the mains voltage I think I'd knocked a wire off inside as I'd recently moved it and here I was chasing a fault around in a valve radio that didn't exist, after I'd overhauled it too! These things are sent to try us......

Cheers
Glen.
Old 23rd Apr 2010, 7:07 am   #467
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Very brave of you to admit that Chris. We have all done it and when you gain experience you will be able to recognize the symptoms and causes very quickly. One thing I always used to ask customers who presented with strange unconnected faults is 'What have you done ?'
The answer was always 'nothing' to start and then the pitiful tale would unfold. I thought everyone had shot themselves late last night as I was the only one with a light on shouting 'Hello' from the abandoned woods......Great news! Regards, John.
Old 23rd Apr 2010, 7:35 am   #468
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Hi John,

What really threw me and made me lose the plot was changing the ECC82 and that making things better. It was only when you and David seemed sure about low power I then stopped and thought more about it, so wish I had not left the voltmeter disconnected.

As you say all adds to the experience catalogue, as in things, experience is the great knowledge base.

Been reading a very good book over the last few days, Television Servicing Vol1 by E.A.W. Spreadbury.

Chris
Old 23rd Apr 2010, 7:46 pm   #469
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Chris,
That is a brilliant book and should give you some good grounding. Anything you don't understand, I'm sure we can fill you in. There are a lot of very good guys on this Forum that have all been where you are now. All the best, John.
Old 24th Apr 2010, 4:39 am   #470
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Just to add, the mains round here varies by well over 20 volts. It should be 240 (and is usually close to that) but can be as high as 245 and as low as 218!

This even has a significant effect on my TV9-90UB sets as the width is reduced with lower mains voltage.

Brian
Closed Thread