UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2014, 10:55 pm   #1
kernowcam
Pentode

Default What an amazing day!

Today I started teaching a new computer group. An older lady who is keen to start to try to use computers mentioned she joined the Wrens in 1943. I asked where she worked and the answer was at Bletchley Park!!!! I was stunned and felt so privileged to be able to talk to someone who actually worked at that iconic place and worked with Alan Turing. What a day.
Old 17th Jan 2014, 1:43 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: What an amazing day!

There are fewer and fewer of that generation still alive today. When I was a postgraduate student around 1980 my supervisor told me she'd worked at Bletchley as a young woman. I guess they recruited large numbers of bright young graduates, particularly women.
Old 17th Jan 2014, 8:02 am   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quite by chance, some years ago I met a lovely lady who had worked as a Y-Service radio operator. She was gracious enough to agree to come along and give a talk to our local Amateur Radio Club.

It is indeed a privilege to talk to people who did such extraordinary things so that we can enjoy an 'ordinary' life today.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 17th Jan 2014 at 8:03 am. Reason: Omission
Old 17th Jan 2014, 9:45 am   #4
greenstar
Octode

My mother was a wireless operator in the ATS (Operator Wireless and Line), and took up posts all over the country, as she liked to travel, so possibly had unique experience of that network. I've not been able to place this in the overall picture. Would this have been in the 'Y' network? One period was spent under Whitehall, but also Kent, Wales, Scarboroough, Shropshire etc! I posted her story in a thread 'Operator Wireless and Line'.
Tony
Old 17th Jan 2014, 6:27 pm   #5
short wave
Pentode

My dad was stationed at Beaumanor from what he told me , this "passed on" radio messages to Bletchley Park. "radio is in the family"!
S-W
Old 19th Jan 2014, 3:59 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
The mother of a good friend used to work at BP. I met her last year; she is a lovely lady and although in her nineties now is still very sharp and rather bemused by the attention she is receiving! The family (including her husband) had no idea of her job - she was given a cover story and could only tell after the stipulated time had elapsed, and even now is quite elusive about her role.
I believe she did meet Mr Turing, though again she typically plays it all down. Perhaps I should record a chat with her next time she's up visiting, though whether this would meet with her approval is hard to say.
And she still does the Times crossword!
Glyn
Closed Thread