UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2014, 2:42 pm   #1
Joe Ingle
Tetrode

Default Data transfer from BBC micro 5.25" floppy discs.

Hi,

I normally visit the vintage radio pages of this forum, but wandered if there were any vintage computer people who might be able to help with this one...

My father has 4 or so 5.25" floppy discs with about 10 documents between them. They were created in the very early 1990s on a BBC micro using the Merlin Scribe word processor. The discs are probably recorded on 80 track (the Cumana drive we had then was capable of using either 40 or 80).

Is there anyone out there who has the kit to be able to read them and copy the data over to an email / flash drive etc? He wants to be able to read through the text and use it as a source for something new he's working on.

I imagine the most tricky bit would be stripping out the data formating used by Merlin Scribe to leave the pure text. Unless there's an automated way of doing that then it's probably not necessary - his documents were pretty much plain text anyway, so as long as the files can be read on notepad (or similar) then I expect he'll be able to find the bits he's interested in and then cut and paste across to MS Word or similar.

Is anyone able to help with this? Happy to discuss a payment for time taken!

Joe Ingle
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 2:59 pm   #2
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Data transfer from BBC micro 5.25" floppy discs.

I've got all the necessary bits and pieces to do this, including Merlin Scribe. I never thought I'd hear of another user of Merlin Scribe! It wasn't exactly a mainstream Beeb wordprocessor. I have a feeling it did something odd with the disc format, or something, but my memories are hazy. Wasn't it part on ROM and part on disc?

I'd be very happy to attempt the transfer task. The only catch is that I'm in Warsaw, Poland, though will be visiting the UK in the next couple of weeks.

Chris
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 3:07 pm   #3
Joe Ingle
Tetrode

You're right about Scribe needing a ROM chip, plus a disc for some of the functions. My Dad wrote several books with it in the 1980s so it must have worked pretty well (although I also remember using another ROM based utility - 'DISC DOCTOR' to recover his occasionally corrupted files so it can't have been perfect!)

Thanks very much for your offer to help. My only concern would be sending the discs to Poland (not so much the cost, but in case they got lost or damaged in transit, or by security scans at airports).

If there's no-one UK based who can help then I'll take you up on it though, so thanks for the reply.

Joe
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 3:16 pm   #4
cmjones01
Nonode

Yes, Disc Doctor was a permanent fixture in my Beeb too...the offending machine still has the Merlin Scribe function key strip fitted, believe it or not!

I'll be visiting my parents in the UK, so it would be possible to ship the discs to them and I can carry them back here, where the Beeb is, by hand.

Chris
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 4:22 pm   #5
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Joe, there appears to be some programs (and other information) here:-

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/in...age=diskimages

that may help.

If Chris is successful printing the files, but unable to convert/transfer them, I have a 5.25" drive on my pc and am happy to try for you.

Regards - Mke
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 6:07 pm   #6
Courtney Louise
Octode

I can get the files off easy enough, I have a CF Drive that can transfer disks and files, I don't however have Merlin Scribe, so I am not sure what you could do with the files after. I am in Birmingham
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 6:58 am   #7
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

Just to get the info into this thread for anyone searching in the future (or reading now, indeed):

Chris at 8-bit software is able to carry out the reading/writing of BBC Micro floppy disks as a commercial service.

I was very happy with the turnaround time when he wrote some disks for me, and all performed flawlessly.

No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Ed.
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 2:41 pm   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

If you have the files on a CF drive and you can read that on a modern computer, have you tried looking at the files with a Hex editor. There would be no formatting but if the text is in ASCII code it would be easy to get that back.
Closed Thread