UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2013, 6:32 pm   #1
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Interfacing a brother AX25 to a computer

I have a brother AX25 that has a 15way D connector on the side for a computer interface. This is for an IF20 interface that converts from centronics. I am guessing that the 15 way D connector.

Pins 1,2,3,4 appear to be ground
Pins 8,15 are +5 volts

The others appear to TTL level, and I suspect that there are 7 data bits, a strobe and a busy. Does anyone have the pinout of this connector to save me some experimentation or the circuit diagram of a brother IF20 interface, or a brother typewriter with this interface on (eg AX25 but it has been used on a lot of typewriters).

Also is there a magic key combination required to turn the typewriter into online mode?

Thank you.
Old 15th Aug 2013, 1:31 pm   #2
WorldWar2
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Interfacing a brother AX25 to a computer

can you show a picture of the connections on the back ?
Old 15th Aug 2013, 6:29 pm   #3
JohnBHanson
Heptode

I have not worked out how to dismantle the typewriter as I cannot remove the platern to get the top off. The connector for the interface is the same as used for the game port on a PC - although the functionality will be totally different. I hope that helps.
Old 15th Aug 2013, 7:42 pm   #4
WorldWar2
Retired Dormant Member

game port/midi connector.
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16hHJF0FFZdOSPBkBRvYzBb7vQ~~60_35.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	82932

This might be what you need
Old 15th Aug 2013, 8:14 pm   #5
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Actually I know the connector, just not the signals that I have to supply on each pin of the connector which is what I would like the help with.
Closed Thread